Discuss Finding a blockage in heating pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I did a powerflush a few weeks back and when I was dumping the water the flow dropped immediately. So I rang tech support (Anton) for my pump and he said it's because there's a blockage in the pipework - I tested the pump itself which was fine.

It's a flat with ground and first floor. All rads get hot upstairs but not down. Pipework from the boiler run straight to ceiling/1st floor void and tees somewhere to feed the ground floor.

Based on upstairs rads getting hot I know the blockage isn't there.

So.. how do I go about pinpointing the blockage? I'm thinking taking up some flooring and running across the pipework with a FLIR .. any other suggestions?

If you can follow/touch the Pipework go around with a magnet

Or if you have flir walk the route should see roughly where the blockage is

If you can follow/touch the Pipework go around with a magnet

Or if you have flir walk the route should see roughly where the blockage is
It's a partial blockage.. sorry shoulda said that.. so the magnet will obv stick to the magnetite?

Yep which most of the case are what the blockages made out of

Especially if you've drained the water out of the a F&E using a drain cock and not sucked it up with a wet vac

Is that vented or sealed system?
Quite often it's the T junctions or somewhere close to the boiler.
I had it few times though.

Is that vented or sealed system?
Quite often it's the T junctions or somewhere close to the boiler.
I had it few times though.
It's a sealed system.. yeah I'm there week after next to investigate. How did you find the blockage?

When the flow dropped during the dump stage, did you try dumping in reverse and if so did it make any difference ?

Where all the rads open at the stage you were at or were you dumping through one rad at a time ?

And as above (jts) are the downstairs individual drops or are the downstairs fed from one drop ?

Are there two heating zones or one ?

Was the water particularly soiled?

When the flow dropped during the dump stage, did you try dumping in reverse and if so did it make any difference ?

Where all the rads open at the stage you were at or were you dumping through one rad at a time ?

And as above (jts) are the downstairs individual drops or are the downstairs fed from one drop ?

Are there two heating zones or one ?

Was the water particularly soiled?
Tried both ways and no difference.
I think all but one we're closed at first then I opened them all - but I can't remember really tbh
Single zone
No idea how many drops as pipework is concealed
Water wasn't that bad no

Zone valves or combi with one open zone from Boiler?

Where were you flushing from, meaning did you remove a pump, connect under the appliance?

Was the flush passing through the Boiler or was it system only ?

Zone valves or combi with one open zone from Boiler?

Where were you flushing from, meaning did you remove a pump, connect under the appliance?

Was the flush passing through the Boiler or was it system only ?
Combi with open zone from boiler
Disconnected system filter on return under boiler and pumped through the valves
Was passing through boiler

Anyone open a tap during flush?
Could they have ?
Is it a combi with a diverter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Finding a blockage in heating pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock