Search the forum,

Discuss Extreme Plumbing Mystery in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Desmond

Building Description

A new (23 years old) 1 story small block of 7 flats. water enters the building and distributed to each flat from a communal cupboard on the ground floor. From here the water to my flat can be turned off via a stopcock(1) at this location.

Water enters my flat which is located on the first floor near the front door ina small cupboard. this is the location within my flat another stopcock(2) is located.

Issues with the stopcock (2) Location

Historically we have always had problems with the stopcock.

Events
Before leaving for 2 week holiday we would turn off the water at the stopcock(2).

On return we would turn the stopcock back on and notice the water pressure was much lower than it was before.

We called in a plumber who suspected that the problem was an airlock but no matter what he did he could not get the pressure back up.

He then suggested that the problem could be the stopcock itself not fully opening so he fitted a new one. which required the mains water Stopcock (1) to be turned off.

To my plumbers amazement when both stopcocks are turn back on there is NO water at all basically panic. Only after about an hour of turning both stopcocks on and off in every combination along with opening and closing all the taps in the flat the water miraculously returns with full pressure.

After this happened I no longer turn off the water when we go holiday.

Until today. The toilet Flush Value developed a fault and would not cut off the water supply when the bowl was full of water and needed to be replaced. It should be to simply isolate the unit using the isolate valve and replace unit but the isolate valve was faulty and need be replaced.

Which required the problematic stopcock to be turned off. A dread came over me but the plumber had no such fear.

Repairs in toilet completed in no time and stopcock turned back on and again low pressure.

We had to repeat everything that is described above again. new stopcock, resulting NO water, and eventually the water returning full pressure.

I have vowed to never turn that valve off again. I will consider selling the property before I touch it.

Both Plumbers who experienced the issues have no idea what the problem could be.

So I would be grateful if anybody has any theories what causes this series of events.

Personally I think someone would need to be on site. The communal section could be a manifold arrangement, there could be something amiss with the way it’s delivered or the internal of your plumbing.

One solution - fit a new Stopcock in your flat. (for icing - put in a pressure sensor that shows the upstream pressure,)

And see if that one can be closed/opened without the same symptoms.

DJ

PS Another test you could do - ask a neighbour to turn off their downstairs stopcock and see what happens. Warn them what might happen!

Possibly the loose jumper type stopcock these can work loose and drop out of position? if its possible to isolate the supply in the ground floor cupboard the it's a easy fix to replace the faulty stopcock in your flat . Kop

Last edited:
One solution - fit a new Stopcock in your flat. (for icing - put in a pressure sensor that shows the upstream pressure,)

And see if that one can be closed/opened without the same symptoms.

DJ

PS Another test you could do - ask a neighbour to turn off their downstairs stopcock and see what happens. Warn them what might happen!
Thanks for your reply
I beginning to think that the problem is not the stopcock because it has had two new one fitted the the last 2 years. I beginning to think that my configuration is susceptible to extreme air locks.

So I have a couple questions

Is it possible that if the water is turn incorrectly a air lock could stop the water supply from returning?

Is there a way of turning on the mains water to ensure airlock are prevented?

Very much appreciate you input in this matter

I

Mains water won’t get air locked unless you can Sod faster than it (sorry for the analogy)

You need to test the first stop tap after the meter does this have water and a good flow etc

I’ve seen it before where it’s been a fitting inside a fitting eg 15mm fitting inside a 22mm pipe / fitting

Reply to Extreme Plumbing Mystery in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock