Discuss ever seen one of these in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambrosia

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
20141023_073114[1].jpg20141023_073126[1].jpg20141023_073134[1].jpg20141023_073141[1].jpg20141023_073740[1].jpg

It has no brand name on it, no electrical power supply, no blades inside, it doesnt drain untill you pull the tube up as in the last picture
and its massive, that waste pipe underneath is about 110 cast iron, the bulb part takes up a whole cupboard, the plug hole is the majority of the bottom of the sink and its all in a tiny ex local high rise

aint no Waste Disposal Unit i've ever seen

Its not perhaps some kind of centrally powered vacuum waste disposal? Is there any contact number for building maintenance or a facility's manager that might shed some light on it?

Ohh this is a good one we all can have a guess - never seen one BUT

I think its some type of domestic interceptor. Like congealed fat etc
preventing the muck going further down the line and blocking the pipes

Come on dont be shy when you have all finished Subday shopping with ur MRs
have a go Centralheatking

First guess; Dyson's early attempt at a self cleaning vortec sink waste, before he moved on to Vacuums.

Second guess; that's got to be an old commercial unit, acquired for free and fitted in a house.

I'll guess that's the waste section of a waste disposer.
The blade section probably slots in the top of it and plugs into a socket for power or it was totally water powered.

These are called Garchey units I believe. Gone bust now a company called Linbrooks I believe bought up all the remaining stock and the patent so I'm told. There's a few of these about in enfield.

These are called Garchey units I believe. Gone bust now a company called Linbrooks I believe bought up all the remaining stock and the patent so I'm told. There's a few of these about in enfield.

The WINNER;

[DLMURL="http://www.barbicanliving.co.uk/Barbican_estate_design/d11b.html"]Barbican Estate, City of London, for flats and apartments.[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. I want one.

thats the one, and its just round the corner in Clerkenwell

customer wants it removed because it stinks, but it looks like you cant just cap them

thanks guys, your help is appreciated

You can ambrosia, I've not done this bit spoke to someone that has and apparently you need to get a steel plate to cap the outlet. Then the new sink waste connects to the old Garchey overflow. Can't say that this is 100% but gives you something to look into. It must be capped obviously due to smells and prone to back surges.

Something like a blanking plate used to cap off valves with a rubber gasket? Just need to measure the hole distances,

doesnt capping cause blockage in other parts of the system

what type of cap did he use

doesnt capping cause blockage in other parts of the system

what type of cap did he use
No, if you read the estates management info linked to in post 6 (thanks snowhead)
It says you cant cap it as it will cause blow backs in other flats. Give it a read it details the basics of what can be done but it also states you are not getting rid of the smell.

Last edited:
You can cap it off you just can't totally seal it incase of blowback. You cap the main drainage connection leaving an inch tail at other side of trap. Ridiculous set up if you ask me. Would've been great in old days running in cast drainage everywhere. Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ever seen one of these in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock