Discuss Electrics tripping. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

M77

Gas Engineer
Hi there does anyone have an idea why electrics would trip if I put my multimeter between live and earth?

First thing to find out. Is it tripping the RCD or an mcb, if its tripping the mcb then it's a fault, if its tripping the RCd then all multi meters will do that, because you are creating a direct short to earth.

Not all multimeters, there are ones on the market that are designed to test rcd protected circuits. Would've thought fluke was one of them tbh.

Try your multimeter on a different working circuit protected by an rcd and see if the same thing happens.

All multimeters will trip electrics between live and earth?? If its tripping the mcb then do you mean it's an electrical fault?
So your saying if the circuit is rcd protected my multimeter will trip electrics?

Last edited:
What range were you using it on - Auto LZ or AC voltage? Apparently, the auto range is a low impedance input (doesn't say how low), so that might trip the RCD on its own - it only needs 30mA. A normal electronic multimeter has 20kOhms or more input impedance, so would only give you 12mA or so. Also, you don't know whether any other equipment on the supply is also leaking curent.

What range were you using it on - Auto LZ or AC voltage? Apparently, the auto range is a low impedance input (doesn't say how low), so that might trip the RCD on its own - it only needs 30mA. A normal electronic multimeter has 20kOhms or more input impedance, so would only give you 12mA or so. Also, you don't know whether any other equipment on the supply is also leaking curent.

Yeah I was using it on Auto lz. It's a new meter so still not sure about all its functions. Maybe that's it, there must be very low resistance on auto lz, this has never happened with my old meter.

Was your old meter an analogue type ( needle) not digital. What were you testing for, just out of interest.

Thanks crink, must have been that! I'll check it out tomorrow, good to know how to actually use this meter.
Stanni my old meter was digital and I was just tracing wires for new controls.

Thanks crink, must have been that! I'll check it out tomorrow, good to know how to actually use this meter.
Stanni my old meter was digital and I was just tracing wires for new controls.
not set it on continuity by mistake? that would explain it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electrics tripping. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back