Discuss Earth bonding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

richardd

I am a gas enginner from n ireland I have been doing alot of oil to gas conversions .

I have an electrician who comes in after me and earths the boiler and meter.

i include this on my price as I assumed it was regulation for the gas enginner to ensure this is done.

Althought i was speaking to another enginner today who told me he justs tells his customers this needs done and leaves it to them to sort out.

What this regs relating to this .

He quotes around the same price as me but dosent have to pay the electrician which I do.

An example:
You do a lgsc and find no bonding at or near to gas meter. All you have to do is to inform the responsible person that it needs attention.
IMHO I would do the same as your other engineer guy...just let the customer know that it needs doing and leave it with them.

On the other hand it may win you work over a competitor if you state that earth bonding will be added/upgraded if needed.

You are costing yourself a couple of weeks in benidorm (or barbados depending on how many you do).
You are under no obligation to do (or have done) this work. Your obligation stops if you notify the customer what is required.

Make yourself some postcards up with this on it to keep yourself right although probably 75% of guys don't and 90% of customers don't gaf.
You are a plumber (or gas fitter) so pass the buck.

MAIN EQUIPOTENTIAL BONDING
Most electrical installations are required to be fitted with main equipotential bonding, which consists of the electrical
connection of the internal gas and water pipes to the installation’s main earthing terminal in accordance with the
requirements of BS 7671.
The gas installation pipe fitted in your premises does not appear to be bonded to the electrical installation.
I am required by The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to tell you that any necessary main equipotential
bonding should be carried out by a competent person.
I advise you to have this checked by an approved electrical contractor, i.e. a member of the National Inspection Council for
Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC).

If you are the tenant of this property, would you please bring this matter to the attention of the owner or his agent as soon
as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Earth bonding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock