Search the forum,

Discuss Does anyone's heating actually work as intended with thermostat? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I keep reading about how you should use a smart thermostat. Set it to the temp to want the home to be and hey presto it takes care of itself. But realistically who does this or rather who does this work for.

With mine I just use it to turn the heating on now and then for short periods of time. let's say I set thermostat to 18C and it's currently 15C in home. I'd have to wait probably 2 hours for it to raise the temp by 3C at which point heating goes off, temp probably drops quite quickly so heating comes back on. So you'd just end up with the heating on all the time? Have I misunderstood how it works or does this method only really work in super insulated modern homes? It's more of a discussion/others experience rather than a question.

Thermostats help us to maintain a comfortable and cozy indoor environment. As you know the heating system works with it by regulating temperature effectively. When the temperature drops below the thermostat settings, the heating system is activated, and it warms the space until the desired temperature is reached.

You're still thinking it works like a traditionally programmed system, it isn't. If you don't want the boiler to come on, lower the set point temperature to it's minimum but keep it on so it understands that.

You're still thinking it works like a traditionally programmed system, it isn't. If you don't want the boiler to come on, lower the set point temperature to it's minimum but keep
I understand how you're supposed to use the thermostat but I'm wondering if anyone does use them that way. It's probably more a question of if fuel cost nothing and we weren't concerned for environment we'd use the thermostat as intended. But as it is if I set the set point to 18C, it will take hours before the thermostat registers this increase and then if it does get there it will keep cycling on/off constantly over short intervals I would imagine.

You don't "just set it to the temp" and "hey presto" but to get the best from it you need to let it implement what it can learn as well as set other parameters.

That can be tricky but the nature of your question and how you use it suggests you either don't know how or haven't done that and by using it as you are is a waste of it's facility.

I clearly haven't convinced you of that so I strongly advise you visit your smart stat's support forum or even get in an expert, good luck.

Yes I'm basically using it as a programmer to turn the heating on/off at the moment. I was simply looking for feedback on other peoples experiences of using them and how but I will look to the smart stats forum. Thanks

Reply to Does anyone's heating actually work as intended with thermostat? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock