Discuss Cost of central heating - no telephone number quotes please ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

likaleica

Would be grateful for advice on a SENSIBLE PRICE for installing complete gas central heating, having had "telephone number" quotes. House is a large north London Edwardian, 4 bedroom semi, roughly 156 sq m in size.
Ceilings are 2.9 m high. House is single glazed.

Central heating has NEVER been fitted so nothing has to be ripped out. There are cellars you can stand up in - making pipe runs for the ground floor very quick and easy (no board lifting or joist drilling required). Upstairs there are no carpets and many loose boards from the newly completed electrical rewire. Wiring for boiler is already there.

We need a conventional condensing A rated boiler, unvented cylinder of about 250 litres, copper piping (not plastic), 12 radiators, all with thermostatic rad valves and replumbing of existing bathroom h + c, loo and kitchen h + c.

Can anyone suggest a fair price, excluding VAT ?

what prices have you had before that broiught you to cming here ?

i personally dont do quotes with out seeing the lay of the land but a guess and i stress GUESS 6k

Too far for me im afraid but I absolutely agree with PJF & bod. Check out Gas Safe Register for a local gas engineer.

Going for the cheapest is not necessarily going to give you the best job. This goes for the materials just as much as the labour.

If someone says 3 weeks and another says 2½ the second might not make a neat enough job. Equally someone who says he can start in a couple of days might not give the job enough thought to another who can only start in 2-3 weeks. The person giving it more thought will have probably done proper heat loss calculations, etc. (Then again the person starting in 2 days might spend the following day from visiting calculating radiator sizes and ordering the required materials.)

As said above, it's probably best to get 2-3 quotes/estimates. Don't dismiss estimates as they can often work out cheaper than quotes - construction workers tend not to lose out on quotes as they're looking for all the potential problems and quoting accordingly. With estimates they're covering themselves to be able to charge more for an unforeseen difficulty. If there are few difficulties then the job will be less expensive.

Would be grateful for advice on a SENSIBLE PRICE for installing complete gas central heating, having had "telephone number" quotes. House is a large north London Edwardian, 4 bedroom semi, roughly 156 sq m in size.
Ceilings are 2.9 m high. House is single glazed.

Central heating has NEVER been fitted so nothing has to be ripped out. There are cellars you can stand up in - making pipe runs for the ground floor very quick and easy (no board lifting or joist drilling required). Upstairs there are no carpets and many loose boards from the newly completed electrical rewire. Wiring for boiler is already there.

We need a conventional condensing A rated boiler, unvented cylinder of about 250 litres, copper piping (not plastic), 12 radiators, all with thermostatic rad valves and replumbing of existing bathroom h + c, loo and kitchen h + c.

Can anyone suggest a fair price, excluding VAT ?

If cannot get anyone,i will bring my sleeping bag down and teddy bear under arm.
Be carefull though a lot of crap plumbers in the london area,the guys on here who live in London are the good guys who know their stuff.Six grand should easily do it.

its pointless pricing for a system that may not even work in the property, hence the need to do an onsite inspection before hand.

You say the sparks has wired for the system, has he wired for zoned heating? you will need two room stat positions.

good luck, the guys from london on here are very good experienced guys. Get a couple of quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cost of central heating - no telephone number quotes please ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock