Search the forum,

Discuss Condensation on ceiling? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

Have 3x windows and 2-300mm insulation in attic.

I've noticed recently a wet patch on the ceiling near where the blocked vent is (I know.. I know..).
The vent has been blocked forever but this is only comung up now. There was also some small condensation on the windows this morning (4 deg at moment).

Strangely, the condensation is located on one side only.

I've been up there and cannot see any leaks, also had a roofer in recently for something else who confirmed no leaks that side.
Pics attached (hopefully you can see, it's in the corner).

Ideas or is it obvious...

Attachments

• 20221013_083342.jpg
    20221013_083342.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221013_083358.jpg
    20221013_083358.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Knappers.

I was up there (this morning) as was the roofer but can't see anything & no pipe run near it.
Roof & plasterboard (from where I can figure out it is) is dry as a bone.

I left the window open for 3 hours and it's all completely cleared up now. If it was a leak, would it dry with just the window open?
I had the same thing a few days a go, stuck the dehumidifier on and it was gone in 20 mins, didn't leave any brown stain / any stain at all which I thought would be expected from a leak?

If its condensation then I'd be looking below it for damp or for it being a cold spot (perhaps due to vent?).
Then I'd be looking at ventilation generally (trickle vents in windows etc)
If there's no pipes then I don't really know?

Is this room kept at the same temperature as the rest of the house? One of several problems with 'smart' heating control systems with multiple zones that allow you to keep some rooms colder than the rest of the house is that you get condensation in the cooler areas.

Check for water leaks, including from dish/clothes washers, elsewhere in the house. These might be raising the humidity.

What are the principal sources of humidity in the house? In particular, how are bathrooms/showers ventilated and how is washing dried? Does cooking involve uncovered pans, e.g. preparing 'reductions'?

How is the house ventilated?

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies lads!

@Chuck - it's kept at a slightly lower temp than rest of house.
House ventilation: No ventilation in the windows, the missus opens them for venting every morning for at least an hour. We didnt have any humidity issues at all until now when the cold weather has set in.

@Murdoch - yes we sleep in that room.

Reply to Condensation on ceiling? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock