Currently reading:
cold rad

Discuss cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PaulRB

I have 1 cold rad in a downstairs cloakroom.
I have flushed it, tested the valves ( not trv ) and connected a hose from the o/side tap to each valve to blast any air-locks.
I have turned off all other rads and it still won't work.
I have replaced rad with a length of 15mm pipe and the pipe gets hot immediately! Put a new rad back on and it works for 2/3 days then fails.
If I draw 1/2 a bucket from the return pipe, hot water is drawn thru the flow pipe and the rad works for 2/3 days.
I know it could be a blockage, either air or sludge, but how come I can always draw hot water thru if I drain from the return pipe?
It seems as if there is something stopping the free flow thru the system which I can by-pass by encouraging the flow when draining.
I would be interested in advice as to what should be my next step.
Someone must have come across this before!!
Thanks

Valve open on return...water trickling out. There is no TRV, just a lockshield on return and wheel valve on flow.

then there is obviously a problem in the return pipe, can you get the mains on it

Either mains pressure water to unblock it as Fuzzy says, or attach a footpump and give it a couple of jabs. Thats what usually works for me.

Day 4 and still working!
Beginning to relax.
Another couple of days and I'll believe we've cracked it!!!

Hi guys.
1 week and rads still working!
I think we've cracked it.
Thanks to everyone for their help, especially Fuzzy and Halesowen1, who have stuck with this from the start.
Great site and great help.
Once again, THANKS

Hi guys.
Thanks to everyone for their help, especially Fuzzy and Halesowen1, who have stuck with this from the start.
Once again, THANKS

im made up, hope it stays working, well done

I know theres loads of information in this thread that I intend to learn and remember :)

Hi guys.
Once again, THANKS

Thanks needs to go to OP for listening, describing the problem and doing as suggested, so many people come on here and don't do what we advice and then wonder why it isn't working.

Thanks Fuzzy.
Nice that people are prepared to go out of their way to help others.
Cheers mate.

I have 1 cold rad in a downstairs cloakroom.
I have flushed it, tested the valves ( not trv ) and connected a hose from the o/side tap to each valve to blast any air-locks.
I have turned off all other rads and it still won't work.
I have replaced rad with a length of 15mm pipe and the pipe gets hot immediately! Put a new rad back on and it works for 2/3 days then fails.
If I draw 1/2 a bucket from the return pipe, hot water is drawn thru the flow pipe and the rad works for 2/3 days.
I know it could be a blockage, either air or sludge, but how come I can always draw hot water thru if I drain from the return pipe?
It seems as if there is something stopping the free flow thru the system which I can by-pass by encouraging the flow when draining.
I would be interested in advice as to what should be my next step.
Someone must have come across this before!!
Thanks

Let's go again!

500 posts before xmas :santa1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back