Currently reading:
Choosing the right boiler - somewhere between 18kw and 42kw depending on where I look.....

Discuss Choosing the right boiler - somewhere between 18kw and 42kw depending on where I look..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all,

Our boiler hasn't been doing very well recently. Just doesn't get the radiators hot at all. It was a relic of a smaller house, which was then extended. They didn't replace the boiler.

We've decided to replace the boiler and sort out some pipework, install new valves etc, but I can't settle on the boiler size required. All radiators are already installed etc, so it's a question of finding the right sized boiler to heat it all appropriately;

- 4 bed detached house
- 1 bath, 2 showers
- 2200 sq/ft
- 15 rads, 2 towel rails

We are going for a system boiler. My calculations are as follows

- Current radiator output (Watts - ΔT = 50°) = 22620 Watts (includes towel rails and two rads in a glass conservatory)

- House heat loss = 19000 Watts (17000 if remove conservatory)

The boiler which has been suggested is the Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 30i. As far as I can tell it has 24kW CH output, and 11ish LPM flow, with a max BTU of 100,000.

If I trawl the internet I find all sorts of stuff about 3kw per radiator, or any 4 bed houses needing 42kW boilers etc. I appreciate that in the past it's been common to massively oversize boilers, but it just makes me nervous that I'm missing a trick and the boiler won't be capable. With the numbers above would the 30i suffice and are there any apparent issues? I have the numbers but don't really know how to interpret them.....

My alternative is to have the 35CDI or something, at a marginally greater cost.

Many many thanks.

I would say that's for a standard copper cylinder not an unvented, As if you allow let's say 2kw

And the unvented cylinder can do a reheat time of 30 mins with 20kw, that will give you a re heat time of 5 hours from cold

So if you use all your hot water it will take 5 hours for it to be fully hot[/QUOTE

I know its different as electricity but Even an immersion heater say 2kw of electric power would heat the tank in short period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Choosing the right boiler - somewhere between 18kw and 42kw depending on where I look..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock