Search the forum,

Discuss Changing a broken TRV in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks,

I have a combi boiler.

The trv for one of the rads needs changing.

Do i follow these steps:
Shut boiler
Make sure the lockshield side is closed
Slowly undo trv radiator nut and drain water from radiator.
Change TRV
Pressurise the system.

Please advise.

Turn boiler off electrically
Drain radiator system by a drain off
Drain the rad with the faulty trv on
Replace trv
Refill and new inhibitor
Turn boiler back on electrically

Turn boiler off electrically
Drain radiator system by a drain off
Drain the rad with the faulty trv on
Replace trv
Refill and new inhibitor
Turn boiler back on electrically
Thanks, Shaun.
My lockshield was leaking a month or so ago. An engineer followed the above but he did not drain the system. He just undid the lockshield nut and let the water drain out of the Radiator. Then changed the lockshield.

But because its the TRV i must drain the entire system?

He must of took the pressure off first

It is possible to change the Trv like for like by just taking the pressure off the system , you need a container and wet vac and the theory is you are trying to pull a vacuum on the pipe if air can't get in the water won't come out isolate both valves drain out the rad, open the trv until flow slows to a manageable amount or stops work quickly because it not always a successful if that air gets in . Kop

Reply to Changing a broken TRV in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock