Search the forum,

Discuss Brother Refurb in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'll be adding question after question to this thread (sorry), I'd really appreciate the help!

So in my brothers refurb I'm putting in a new boiler and repiping everything - heating and water. I'm converting a conventional system to a combi.

He now wants the boiler in the loft which is fine (it's currently in the kitchen), gonna get a roofer to sort the roof out for a vertical flue and depending on how near the adjacent chimney is in the house next door I'm gonna put the boiler either on the back wall or the perpendicular wall to the left - see pic

2016-08-30 17.50.43.jpg

A builder told my brother that he would have to build a stud wall for the boiler to hang on - I don't believe this is required and don't see why it can't be hung directly to the wall.

Am I right or wrong?

No problem hanging on the block wall. Don't forget install wil need loft ladder, lighting, flooring to the boiler and safety rail at the loft hatch.

Is the left wall a chimney if not I would try and fix the boiler there but put a remote filling loop somewhere easy like an airing cupboard

Is the left wall a chimney if not I would try and fix the boiler there but put a remote filling loop somewhere easy like an airing cupboard

No it's not, the chimney is in the middle of the loft a couple meters away. I think I'm gonna put the boiler in the kitchen as its adding a lot more work - I'd have to reroute the gas and figure something out about the prv and condense and generally it's all looking like a lot more work!!! I'm only there for 4 days and as I work like a snail I don't want that kind of pressure when I'm working for free...

But then.. It's a challenge!!

Oh what to do haha

No it's not, the chimney is in the middle of the loft a couple meters away. I think I'm gonna put the boiler in the kitchen as its adding a lot more work - I'd have to reroute the gas and figure something out about the prv and condense and generally it's all looking like a lot more work!!! I'm only there for 4 days and as I work like a snail I don't want that kind of pressure when I'm working for free...

But then.. It's a challenge!!

Oh what to do haha

What's directly below there ?

His bedroom, and below that the kitchen

His bedroom, and below that the kitchen

Could you run it straight down into the kitchen if he doesn't mind a bit of boxing in a corner???? Or where's the bathroom close or far ?

Could you run it straight down into the kitchen if he doesn't mind a bit of boxing in a corner???? Or where's the bathroom close or far ?

He doesn't want boxing so I'd have to chase it in the wall - bathroom is a possibility as its next to his room but again I'd have to chase it and bring it under the bath and I to the inch and half pipe.. The gas I'd have to run externally and then back in as you can't chase gas into brick walls vertically can you?

He doesn't want boxing so I'd have to chase it in the wall - bathroom is a possibility as its next to his room but again I'd have to chase it and bring it under the bath and I to the inch and half pipe.. The gas I'd have to run externally and then back in as you can't chase gas into brick walls vertically can you?

Yes you can and internal soil stack or external

But can't you run it through the floor and up in the airing cupboard??

Yes you can and internal soil stack or external

But can't you run it through the floor and up in the airing cupboard??

I thought you couldn't chase gas vertically.. Ok cool.
He's doing away with the airing cupboard to make more room for the bathroom

I thought you couldn't chase gas vertically.. Ok cool.
He's doing away with the airing cupboard to make more room for the bathroom

Any other cupboards upstairs that you could run it in ?

Possibly his wardrobe.. Could do the same with condense and just fit a pump.. Hmmm

Have a look at pump house if you can't get it on gravity

It's going in the kitchen... 1 question on the pipework under the floor.. Does it have to be a continuous run of flow/return or can you have various branches?

It's going in the kitchen... 1 question on the pipework under the floor.. Does it have to be a continuous run of flow/return or can you have various branches?

Unless your main run of flow/return happens to be passing close to every radiator, you will probably need at least one branch off it to a few rads. Usually branch off 22mm with 22mm

Unless your main run of flow/return happens to be passing close to every radiator, you will probably need at least one branch off it to a few rads. Usually branch off 22mm with 22mm

Ok cool.. Cheers Best ;) just ordered al the bits to collect next Thursday morning.. I've got 3.5 days to do this, plus other bits but, I'm looking forward to it :)

Ok cool.. Cheers Best ;) just ordered al the bits to collect next Thursday morning.. I've got 3.5 days to do this, plus other bits but, I'm looking forward to it :)

Once upon a time I enjoyed doing whole house replumbs.
Great satisfaction after each day of hard graft and especially when the system filled and boiler going.
Good to know that all the work is your own.
Too much bother in occupied and furnished houses for me now tbh.
It was always about a week minimum for all copper oil heating for me.

Last edited:
Once upon a time I enjoyed doing whole house replumbs.
Great satisfaction after each day of hard graft and especially when the system filled and boiler going.
Good to know that all the work is your own.
Too much bother in occupied and furnished houses for me now tbh.

Yeah it's a lot of work and would be grand if kitchen was gutted but I've told him I'll do what I gotta do to get it done and he can sort out putting everything back ;) since I started almost 2 years ago I've always wanted to do a system from scratch - I'm glad it's at my brothers haha least I don't have the added pressure from people I don't know!!

remember we will be watching over your shoulder

remember we will be watching over your shoulder

That's all good! I'll hear good voices - hopefully you'll all drown out the negative voices that I hear in my head all the time ;)

That's all good! I'll hear good voices - hopefully you'll all drown out the negative voices that I hear in my head all the time ;)

not a problem now where did i put my megaphone

Put plenty of photos up for us to ridicule, - I mean, - admire your finished work.

So first day, old boiler, cylinder, tanks in loft and all pipework gone. Rads and boiler jig hung with fresh core hole, floorboards up and ready to pipe up tomorrow.. Shattered!!!

now what ever you do dont fall through your holes where the floor boards were

now what ever you do dont fall through your holes where the floor boards were

Haha I'll try not to.. So I'm having to run pipes along the joist rather then across, is it best Tijuana clip them to the side, flow above return?

Haha I'll try not to.. So I'm having to run pipes along the joist rather then across, is it best Tijuana clip them to the side, flow above return?

Tbh it doesn't matter which ever is easier for you or you can fit timbers and run them in the centre of the joists if you have space (cross brace the joists)

Tbh it doesn't matter which ever is easier for you or you can fit timbers and run them in the centre of the joists if you have space (cross brace the joists)

Ok cool.. That's what they did before (cross brace) so I'll just run it the same way. They just rested the pipes on the cross, do I not need to clip them?

Ok cool.. That's what they did before (cross brace) so I'll just run it the same way. They just rested the pipes on the cross, do I not need to clip them?

Yea need to clip them something like every 6' ish

In a way yes but mean more like this

image.jpg

See the timber on the bottom of the pic with hair felt on like that for anything like 15-22mm if using 8-10mm just clip it on the side of the joists

In a way yes but mean more like this

View attachment 27296

See the timber on the bottom of the pic with hair felt on like that for anything like 15-22mm if using 8-10mm just clip it on the side of the joists

Ah ok... I'll see in the morning what route I'll take.. Thanks Shaun ;)

Last question, sorry, why is it you put felt at each joist/clip??

Last question, sorry, why is it you put felt at each joist/clip??

Not a problem Stop noise and allow for expansion (no squeaks when heating up of solid pipes eg 15-22mm etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brother Refurb in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock