Discuss British Gas Vs Working For Yourself in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
at the end of the day i always say my health comes before my wealth thats why im away from the high pressure big companies. i agree about the pressure people sitting behind desks never ever have face the customer on the day problems i may take home a lot less now but quality of life is 100% higher and im home when i need to be Leave the dark side become a jedi and fight the evil of the empire

Working as an Engineer for BG would be great if it was not for the constant pressure to make sales targets by pushing magnetic filters, boiler/system upgrades, powerflushes and energy. They are constantly on you back.

Last I heard the basic pay for a technical engineer was circa £30K.

I liked the selling side of it as an engineer what i didnt like was when you were 2 mins more on a job they would phone you to ask you where you are. Also about 4 oclock they would send you 3 jobs down when they knew you finished at 5. Then when you phoned the office they would not take the jobs back from you

The selling side of british gas ie engineers going out to jobs and condeming appliances that are ok is disgusting, i have done many a job where they say we can not get parts, but we will sell you a new boiler, goes on all the time, they must be on some sort of commision.
I liked the selling side of it as an engineer what i didnt like was when you were 2 mins more on a job they would phone you to ask you where you are. Also about 4 oclock they would send you 3 jobs down when they knew you finished at 5. Then when you phoned the office they would not take the jobs back from you

To Heating-eng....had a look on your web said ! Is not much of a cheap heating at all for Leads,I THINK
It looks like a copy of BG price list to me !

The selling side of british gas ie engineers going out to jobs and condeming appliances that are ok is disgusting, i have done many a job where they say we can not get parts, but we will sell you a new boiler, goes on all the time, they must be on some sort of commision.
I would agree with that. I would very rarely cut off any appliance to be honest but we did have a lot of rubbish on contract that really did need changing and in my opinion i always gave the best advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
working for brittish gas doing installs is a complete waste of time they are supposed to supply you with all materials but there are always fittings missing and never enough supplied to do the job so this means fittings from the van.
The managers are arrogant think they know best and wont back down fromm you had one trying to tell me a pipework arrangement I done was not correct he would not back down I drew it out on a piece of paper for him and when he realised I was right tried to walk away and not even say sorry to me I told him he was a prat and I would not be back this was few years back and get calls all the time from all these agencies who I tell I would rather work in mcdonalds than for those leeches.

Last edited by a moderator:
To Heating-eng....had a look on your web said ! Is not much of a cheap heating at all for Leads,I THINK
It looks like a copy of BG price list to me !

It,s my first attempt at building a website and it,s not perfect.
I am also new to working for myself so i don,t really know what is cheap and what is not cheap.
That,s why i joined here to get help from all you guys.
I am already getting work from it so it is doing ok for me at the moment.
Thanks for the input.

working for brittish gas doing installs is a complete waste of time they are supposed to supply you with all materials but there are always fittings missing and never enough supplied to do the job so this means fittings from the van.
The managers are arrogant think they know best and wont back down fromm you had one trying to tell me a pipework arrangement I done was not correct he would not back down I drew it out on a piece of paper for him and when he realised I was right tried to walk away and not even say sorry to me I told him he was a a******e and I would not be back this was few years back and get calls all the time from all these agencies who I tell I would rather work in mcdonalds than for those leeches.

I know have you feel because we had lots of contractors on our area and none of them seemed to be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas Vs Working For Yourself in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock