Discuss British Gas Vs Working For Yourself in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard if you work for BG you have to sign to stay with them for a number of years is this correct?

The grass aint green when the van breaks down and you wait 3hrs for the AA and pay 350£ to get it fixed.
Sitting in a cold van dont earn money.
What a crap day!!!!!!

Being self employed always comes with grief which have all been mentioned, but nothings beats being your own man, choosing how you work, and setting your own standards.

I don't earn 50K a year...yet, but I'm working hard to get there and reckon in a few years I'll be there.

Been running my business for three years and took a salary of about £30K last year, but put at least £5K back into the business maybe more, training, tools etc.

I often work an 8 hour day, spend a couple of hours with the wife and kids then do paper work till 11pm, but I'm proud of the business, and aspire to bigger things. Surely that IS greener grass than working for THE MAN, even if the money isn't as good.

totally agree with you dannypipe

having just recently started quite enjoying it already doing my own work at my own pace and helping people out, more satisfiying than working on a building site making a company thousands and you get pennies !! I was told off someone in our office that every plumber for the company was expected to earn the company £2300 a week !

£2300 quid a week, probably true....which is staggering, but the big firms shaft everyone, the staff and the customer.

Hi guys,

I am currently working for Bg and have been for the last 7 years. Like most BG engineers I am not happy with usually stuff already mentioned on this site. It has now got to the stage were i am considering going it alone.

But is the grass really greener on the other side?

I earn a decent wage usually between 40-50k a year + all the other benifits for working for a firm. But what am i likely to earn working for myself and going as a contractor to firms like BG.

I know it a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.

I have just left BG i know what you mean about the pressure.
I was an engineer but for the last 4 years i was on sales selling boilers and central heating (earning about 70k).
Things were changing too much for me and i didnt feel like i could stay any more.
Things are quite hard and getting work is not easy so if you need to earn a good wage then if i was you i would stay at BG.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
where do i sign up well benifit of being S/E is you can always refuse jobs i suppose but then you have to find jobs to replace those at least with BG you have your work given to you on a plate given a van etc regular wage paid hol sick etc 40 to 50 k plus those i know where i would stay

where do i sign up well benifit of being S/E is you can always refuse jobs i suppose but then you have to find jobs to replace those at least with BG you have your work given to you on a plate given a van etc regular wage paid hol sick etc 40 to 50 k plus those i know where i would stay
Working as an Engineer for BG would be great if it was not for the constant pressure to make sales targets by pushing magnetic filters, boiler/system upgrades, powerflushes and energy. They are constantly on you back.

Last I heard the basic pay for a technical engineer was circa £30K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas Vs Working For Yourself in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock