Discuss British Gas Vs Working For Yourself in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon the other 10k is from selling unused parts on fleabay.....lol. (this is in no way a dig at you ff competence.....just couldn't resist)
Seriously though in the 3 years I have working for myself....I made a loss in the first year, a small profit in my second year and looking to improve again this year..... what you are earning now is great but I like the freedom of working for myself where cash jobs are very welcome!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I left my company and on my own since December,had lots of little jobs along with 8 boiler change jobs and about 10 gas hobs/cookers total ! But all come as lot of £ paid to advertise !And still there is balanced to clear on my credit card ! I was going to join BG as sub but after the first few jobs realised that customers are coming off BG services as there is lot of issues with there services ! Beginning of December did my commercial and today have been called to a job to fit two new 60kw and 700L unvented plus about 10 heaters .
I am getting some one with experience to do it together .
Grass is green i have more time for my wife and 2 year old boy . And the earning is not bad as is just the beginning for me !!

I also have gone self employed last year since july and have easily earned twice if not 3 times more than when I was on the cards some months.

However it is alot more stressful. But for me the grass is greener.

grass is green ......some play football on it ....some play cricket.....some walk the dogs on it ....some have it for lunch ....some smoke it ...

but is definitely green

If that salary is correct then stay where you are especially in this climate. Working on your own in theory gives you more flexibility, although you end working all hours just to stay afloat with some of the prices quoted at the moment. Unless you live in london etc then most customers will not pay anymore than £ 20 - 25 per hour and when you divide this into your salary and then add approx. £250 per week with holiday pay, diesel, gas safe. insurances you will realise it ain' t any greener this side. God, depressed myself now !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Come on woodsy ,it ain't that bad ! There is always some more work just round the corner for every one ...:)

Sorry just had one of those mornings, 1st customer cancelled me when i was literally 1/2mile from job, 2nd job for letting agent who supplied keys which were newly cut and wouldn't open doors and arrived at third job to find customer who wouldn't ansawer the door or phone and then sent me a text message saying sorry had to go out net result earnings £0- Can only get better !

I left my company and on my own since December,had lots of little jobs along with 8 boiler change jobs and about 10 gas hobs/cookers total ! But all come as lot of £ paid to advertise !And still there is balanced to clear on my credit card ! I was going to join BG as sub but after the first few jobs realised that customers are coming off BG services as there is lot of issues with there services ! Beginning of December did my commercial and today have been called to a job to fit two new 60kw and 700L unvented plus about 10 heaters .
I am getting some one with experience to do it together .
Grass is green i have more time for my wife and 2 year old boy . And the earning is not bad as is just the beginning for me !!

good to hear your doing well in the work department, I'm going to a funding panel on thursday to try get funding for a van..what kind of advertising did u do mostly and at what cost ?

ive been self employed for a year now and love it, some weeks not got much work and others flat out. just wish it would all even out.... its such a big expense to start up; 6k van, 1k power tools, 450 gas safe, 750 gas anaylser, public liabilty, advertising, extra tools, more work clothing, new laptop nd printer..... first year made a loss, but chins up all good fun ay.

ive been self employed for a year now and love it, some weeks not got much work and others flat out. just wish it would all even out.... its such a big expense to start up; 6k van, 1k power tools, 450 gas safe, 750 gas anaylser, public liabilty, advertising, extra tools, more work clothing, new laptop nd printer..... first year made a loss, but chins up all good fun ay.

Not being funny but didnt you build up your tools etc?
Why you spending 6K on a van as well thats a huge outlay for a start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas Vs Working For Yourself in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock