Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler losing pressure in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

First time post so go easy, ive had an ongoing issue with my boiler loosing pressure, ive had boiker chexked over and they suggest its a fault with pipework, ive checked for ceiling staining and around all radiators however all dry and no obvious signs, weve tried fernox f4 leak sealer still to no avail, boiler pressure will drop every 3-4 days max depending on use, has even needed topping up after 24hrs, we are almost atbthe point of paying a leak detection company to come and check the system over, im concerned they may find nothing, so hoping yiubguys may have some tips i could try, i am an electrician by trade so have a good understanding just wodnering if i may of missed anything, so any advice on how you guys would approach this would be much appreciated

Hi Ben,
Is it a gas or oil fired boiler?
is the expansion vessel internal in the boiler or externally mounted.?
Any sign of water leak from the PRV (safety valve), this should'nt lift unless the boiler pressure reaches 3bar. (but could be leaking at any pressure).

Its a gas fired ideal logic+ 35kw, expanison tank is internal to boiler and has been checked, no water came from the schrader valve, ive become abit paranoid to be honest and constantly check the PRV pipe outside and its alwsys dry

Shouldn't really be looking inside boiler casing unless gas approved, if the EV has been precharged to 1bar and you have filled to 1.5 bar then you are losing ~ 2 litrs of water in a short time which points to a leak.
You could break the condensate pipe and see if its dripping/leaking with boiler shut down. After switching off/isolating you could fill the boiler to say 2bar when cold then shut the boiler flow and return valves and see if the pressure falls over a few hours, if so, then probably boiler Hx problem if valves are holding tight.

Id expect around that kind of age yes, we had the siphon changed a few years back as it had cracked another common issue i believe, can you tell me how To best check if this is happening presumbaly wster down condensate when boiler off

Turn the boiler iso valves off either side black 22mm leave 24 hours with no heating or hot water on eg turn boiler off

How long should the boiler be off before isolating? Presumbably if just been hesting the pressure will drop, is it worth disconnecting the condensate under the boiler over night

Same time and no

Shouldn’t drop below 1 if it’s around 2.2 now

I would think that if it's leaking down through the condensate pipe that it doesn't matter whether boiler and system are isolated from each other or not.

Just tried a couple. Of things from above, topped pressure to 1.4 then isolated flow and return and within about 10 minutes has dropped to 1.0, boiler, ia this normal or far too fast, i disconnected condensate pipe below but no drips as yet

Depends if the boiler was hot ?

Then after this drop shouldn’t drop no more

Ok, so just had to. Pit heating back on as it was getting cold and when i opened the valves i noticed the pressure gauge went back up to 1.4, is this normal or point towards a boiler issue, will try again over nIght though

Boilers at fault fixed price repair from ideal or new boiler hex is split

Hello guys, finally had a chance to update, last night i pressurised the boiler to 1.4 bar and shut off electrically and at the flow and return valves, within a few minutes it had dropped to just below 1 bar and by the morning, (10 hours later) was down to 0.8 bar,

When i then opened the valves it dropped further to 0.2bar and then required topping up,

Does this confirm the fault to be with the heat exchanger, can someone explain why the pressure would have dropped further to 0.2 bar?

Sounds like you’ve got a leaking HEX and a leaking system somewhere.

When you opened the valves back up the pressure should have increased back to 1.4 bar (or there abouts) if the system was good. As that would of still held pressure.

That was my worry, i will carry out the test again but making sure all radiators are bled etc first, it appears the bulk of the leak is with the HEX, as wrote previosuly above the pressure did go back up when testing for a short amount of time

Reply to Boiler losing pressure in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock