Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Baxi Bermuda RG3 suitable replacement? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Piecan

Hi I'm new here and have been reading your threads with interest. Wondered if you could share your thoughts on the following please?

I'm buying a house with a Baxi Bermuda rg3, which was fitted 8 years ago. I know it's been regularly serviced, so is probably ok to leave till it dies. However the property is in need of a lot of redecorating, possibly removing the hot water tank from the airing cupboard on the landing in order to fit an upstairs shower room/toilet as there isn't one upstairs at present. In order to be more energy efficient what would you consider to be the best? It's a two bed detached house built in the 60s with downstairs bathroom and there's only me living there. Thanks :)

I think that in this particular instance a combi boiler would be ideal to suit your needs. You would only be heating the hot water that you require when you require it. Not often that I recommend a combi but perfect for you in my opinion.

And welcome to the forum!

Thanks, I guess that will be the best way to go. I didn't install one in my present home as I'd heard they go wrong more often, so have a gloworm flexicom 15hx and a very small hot water tank (only two years old but didnt know I'd be moving then). It's been very efficient. Which brand are the most reliable for combi boilers?

Probably your best bet is to ask around your friends and familyand see if they can recommend a gsr, ask his opinion because chances are, if he's worth his salt, he'll be looking after it for you!

You can now get condensing baxi Bermuda if wanted but if you are wanting the space that the hot water cylinder occupies then a combi would be a good option but make sure you have enough cold water to give a flow of at least 18-20 litres /min then get a combi that does at least 13 litres/min a good trouble free one worth considering is an intergas combi. the HRE 36/30 will give you you 9 litres/min hot water at 60DegC or 15litres/min at 40degC That is why you need 20litres/min cold water. If you haven't got that then don't get a combi and be disappointed with the hot water.

Thanks for the details, will read up about the Intergas. I wonder if its going to be very expensive to go from a back boiler to a combi and whether the pipes will stand the pressure. I did think about just replacing it with a a condensing back boiler, but I read about someone having problems with one.

Thanks, I guess that will be the best way to go. I didn't install one in my present home as I'd heard they go wrong more often, so have a gloworm flexicom 15hx and a very small hot water tank (only two years old but didnt know I'd be moving then). It's been very efficient. Which brand are the most reliable for combi boilers?
hi, do hope you didn't install this yourself ? unless you are gas safe registered :)

Thanks for the details, will read up about the Intergas. I wonder if its going to be very expensive to go from a back boiler to a combi and whether the pipes will stand the pressure. I did think about just replacing it with a a condensing back boiler, but I read about someone having problems with one.

I can't answer about baxi condensing problems, but any combi conversion from back boiler will be fairly expensive I am going to do one for my next door neighbour soon that will be an open vented boiler using existing plumbing and I have quoted them £2500 because of material at about £1200 is material.

if the cylinder is in the upstairs back bedroom this is the cheapest place to put the new combi provided you can get the condense out

I can't answer about baxi condensing problems, but any combi conversion from back boiler will be fairly expensive I am going to do one for my next door neighbour soon that will be an open vented boiler using existing plumbing and I have quoted them £2500 because of material at about £1200 is material.

Thanks for that, I will bear that in mind.

if the cylinder is in the upstairs back bedroom this is the cheapest place to put the new combi provided you can get the condense out

The hot water cylinder is in a cupboard at the top of the stairs which is in between the two bedrooms, its a chalet style house. I was thinking of extending into the roof area, but that cupboard probably would be a good place for a boiler.

But not good for a condensing boiler, loft is good but can be a pain when boiler has a problem, and regs are stiff for a boiler in the loft too.

When I was looking at houses to buy quite a few had put their combi boilers in the loft which meant they had to have some of the floor boarded. I thought what happens if they have a problem with the flue, wouldnt be easy to see from outside. I think as the kitchen units will be taken out the gas pipe from the back boiler can come through the wall at a similar place in the kitchen, and could be fitted there, with the flue coming out above the door...about 7 foot.

Yes I think it's cheaper to run it to have flue coming out thro; the wall and 7ft above ground level means that no mesh cover is needed over it. As long as there is no opening door or window or abutment to the wall surface within 300mm of the flue then that is also ok, and not projecting flue outlet onto a neighbouring property within 600mm of their boundary or 1200mm of their flue, if that happens then a plume management kit is needed to divert the plume. The condensate can either go internally to a plastic waste pipe, or external into a drain with a plastic cover, or a purpose made condensate soak away set into the ground with a bag of special stones.

Thanks very much, very useful information. I have been playing with the layout of the house so I know what to ask the builder to do. He could put the central heating system in too, but I think I prefer the idea of a local company who put in boilers for the council to do it.

don't whatever you do ask the builder to do plumbing or heating work, get a properly qualified engineer in.

I prefer people to stick to what they are qualified to do, like a plumber saying he can do a bit of tiling..I got the plumber to do the plumbing and a tiler to do the tiling (I did the tiling when I first moved in and it was rubbish, but not bad for a girl).

Someone mentioned to me today (who has a friend of a friend) that the gas pipe to extend into the kitchen from the gas meter under the stairs might have to go outside before coming in again to the boiler because of ventilation, is that right? The floor is a suspended wooden floor with air bricks. Sounds a bit worrying.

I prefer people to stick to what they are qualified to do, like a plumber saying he can do a bit of tiling..I got the plumber to do the plumbing and a tiler to do the tiling (I did the tiling when I first moved in and it was rubbish, but not bad for a girl).

Someone mentioned to me today (who has a friend of a friend) that the gas pipe to extend into the kitchen from the gas meter under the stairs might have to go outside before coming in again to the boiler because of ventilation, is that right? The floor is a suspended wooden floor with air bricks. Sounds a bit worrying.
nope its not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi Bermuda RG3 suitable replacement? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock