Search the forum,

Discuss Bath Overflow Sealing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phillay

Hey guys,

Recently managed to get shot of an awful bath I purchased stupidly from one of the DIY chains... now looking at some Carron ones.

There's so many baths with a curved end at the taps these days and the one thing that's bugging me crazy is how do people out there fit the overflow face/grill when the bath's curved and get a good seal?

I've only ever fitted overflow grills to baths with a nice straight end, so can use flat rubber washers ...I can image cranking up a plastic silver grill to get it to bend is either going to cause it to snap of scratch the bath a treat.

Also, would be interested on your thoughts concerning bath weight. Our old bath that I removed was a pressed steel, weighing in at 38kg and took 180 litres of water to the overflow.

Seen a new Carronite bath, weighing 31kg, ...but takes quite a large 228 litres. Both baths are around 1700 x 700. Does that sound like too much of a weight difference? (obviously my weight would feature in both baths, so left it unmentioned!!!). It's a 1970's house, 6x2 joists at 400mm a part, 22mm wooden floorboards on top.

Cheers

The overflow kit usually comes with the bath, so don't worry about it.
If the joists are in good nick they'll be fine, if you have concerns, rip your floorboards up and double up the ones that will be going under your bath. Have a quick google and you'll find how-to's and building control documents on how to do this properly.

Weight wise i suppose it depends on the joist span before support. I.e a huge bath in the middle of a big room with a big heffer in it. normal size bathrooms would be fine for any bath i would have thought...Don't quote me on that though. :)

Cheers guys, ideally would have liked to sister them up but unfortunately the bathroom walls cross the joists (they're breeze block walls built off of the floorboards) which makes it pretty impossible to slip anymore joists into place.

Span is only 2.5 metres so not a massive one and the bath fits tightly into an alcove.... so in effect, sits on the first 1.7 metres of the joists from the outside wall.

them floorboards should still quite happily take the weight of a cast iron bath so yours shouldnt be a problem and if its nearer the edge of the wall then even better.

Cheers guys, ideally would have liked to sister them up but unfortunately the bathroom walls cross the joists (they're breeze block walls built off of the floorboards) which makes it pretty impossible to slip anymore joists into place.

Span is only 2.5 metres so not a massive one and the bath fits tightly into an alcove.... so in effect, sits on the first 1.7 metres of the joists from the outside wall.

If your worried about the weight of your bath on the joists your best bet a part from doubling up noggin them across especially where the legs are and replace your boards with 18mm ply to help spread the load this will also stop any flex/movement in the floor

just timber uder the legs the oposite direction to the joists and build a timber frame around the wall the stop any movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath Overflow Sealing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock