Currently reading:
Bath installation?

Discuss Bath installation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. Just wondered whether most plumbers level a bath to a certain height before putting it in position and fixing? Or do you put the legs on and level it in position according to the height of the panel?

What would the point be in putting it lower than what the panel requires then you have to mess about cutting it unless your asked to put it lower

No all I'm asking is, do you level to height from the lip of the bath to the bottom of the feet when it's on its back whilst putting the legs on? Or do you chuck it in place with the legs on and just raise to the required height?

Batten on wall then level off the batten once baths in. Having positioned batten allowing for bath panel and flooring.

Thanks for the info folks.

One more thing. I've installed a load of low level toilets and wall hung cisterns in pods before and just cut down the flush pipe to size. Is there certain measurements for this stuff as there's no literature with the pan. It's Roca.

Im with simong. Always use a baten and thenbuild a frame at the front. I dont trust 4 or 5 plastic feet to hold it solid.

Ive only ever used a batten on a corner bath any other bath is leveled up to panel height taking into account floor covering etc stuck to wall on all edges with silicone and filled with water immediately and left overnight never ever had a loose one..brum

I've always been led to believe it's best to fill a bath until I joined my current boss who says it's not necessary.

I never fill them up to be honest! but like the batten idea!!

only a beginner would use a batten in my opinion bath full of water will drop to its level meow..brum

how does the tiler then do his job? each one I see stands in the bath to tile, do you let the water out once the silicone has dried? if so I cannot understand how this helps with anthing? wont the bath jut lift back up to normal height?

I too batten the wall to required height , i was always led to beleive that with out it , a cheap bath being so thin will move about . So when the tiling is done and all is siliconed in , if filled with water the thinner more flexible baths will put strain on sealing / silicone and be more prone to failure .

I know baths generally come with a couple of clips to retain against the wall but I find they are a *** to use . So I fix a batten , fit bath on top and seal all around with a good silicone , adjust feet so they are secure . Tile it and then silicone again . Never had one fail but for the sake of a few quids worth of batten and ten minutes , I wouldnt not do it now . But as they say , each to their own I suppose .

Ta ta

only a beginner would use a batten in my opinion bath full of water will drop to its level meow..brum

I'm my opinion only a fool wouldn't batten. Makes the whole installation much more stable and easier. Measure for bath panel, fit batten, drop bath on and check measurements, remove bath, apply silicone to batten, drop bath back on and adjust legs to floor. That sucker is never going to move.

I've had a few requests for baths set lower than standard and this is where battening really comes into it's own. Do away with the leg set, batten the wall and stick the bath at whatever level you want. Now weight the bath down with a couple of bags of sand and support the base board with expanding foam. Once the foam is set the bath will never move.

i sometimes batten, sometimes not. depends on quality of customers.
ability to pay top dollar = batten.

occaisionally when fitting a bath you will encounter fitting instructions which tell you to batten, but go on to say that the bath shouldn't rest on the batten but be a couple of mm above......

how does the tiler then do his job? each one I see stands in the bath to tile, do you let the water out once the silicone has dried? if so I cannot understand how this helps with anthing? wont the bath jut lift back up to normal height?
Try it next time my friend set bath to position with all legs set to height pull bath away from wall and gun down edge of bath use a whole tube of sealant push bath against wall screw feet down and fill with water leave over night let water out and you will not be able to budge bath guaranteed although you cannot do this in a house with small children for obvious safety reasons this is just the way ive always done it ..brum

always batten, I did two insurance jobs just last year for customers, combined about 20K of damage, just coz the plumbers were too lazy to take an extra hour and a couple of pounds worth of wood to properly support the bath. regardless of what the customer is paying or if you're trying to cut corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath installation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock