Discuss Barking Brassware Company in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Veggie Dave

A customer has some BBC basin taps that she's desperate to keep, but they're dripping. The problem I have is that the rubber washer for these taps has a groove for the valve face to sit in and I can't find anyone who stocks these washers. I've reground the valve seat, which now seems to be perfect, and used every single washer I can find but I can't stop the tap from dripping.

It's now down from a constant drip to one drip every 50 seconds or so but that's really not good enough. Does anyone know where to find these washers?

Cheers.

You've spent a lot of time on this job Dave, I hope the customer appreciates it and will pay you for it all as well as for the new taps and fitting them.

Two lessons learned, I think:-

1) Sometimes it isn't possible to do what the customer wants.
2) Make certain a spare part is available before starting the preparation work to fit it.

I have asked at the two merchants I was at yesterday for you and had a look on-line. No joy I'm afraid.

You've spent a lot of time on this job Dave, I hope the customer appreciates it and will pay you for it all as well as for the new taps and fitting them.

All my customers are lovely. I'm not joking, either. ;)

Barking Brassware was taken over many years ago and renamed Barking Grohe.

I don't know which one of the Grohe brothers bought the company but the factory which was in River Road, Barking is long gone.

I have a load of discontinued oddities. Can you post a photo?

I take it the Barking type washers in the Holdtite tap washer box aren't the ones?

Last edited:
I have a load of discontinued oddities. Can you post a photo?

I can indeed.

bbc.jpg

I take it the Barking type washers in the Holdtite tap washer box aren't the ones?

Sadly not, no.

Best quality brass ware you could get.

They do appear to be very good quality taps, and they've been in the house for a long time, which is pretty old but renovated to a very high standard with as many original fittings and fixtures kept as possible, hence why the customer really wants to keep the taps if at all possible. It's a question of history not finances.

Are they not just worn into the seating?

I don't think so. I did another set of BBC taps at the same place and the washers looked to be in much better condition, with an intentional grove/channel in the face of the seal.

I have, however, sorted the tap out now but I still want to find the proper washers if they exist.

Might be a long shot but there is a shop in cheshunt ,Hertfordshire called house of taps ,he has been there for donkeys & has helped me out in the past with obsolete tap bodies ...you never know

The washers are supposed to be flat. Yours have just worn

The standard Holdtite tap washer box (from Toolstation) has 2 sizes of Barking washers in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Barking Brassware Company in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock