Search the forum,

Discuss Banging despite arrestor being fitted in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Whenever a cold tap or the washing machine is used in our house there is a single bang each time as it is turned off. This can be heard around the house but is loudest at the combi boiler in the upstairs airing cupboard. There is a shock arrestor fitted near the boiler which I have recharged to 5 bar as per the label, but the bang persists.

I have reduced the mains pressure via the stopcock which fixes the bang but now the flow is insufficient.

How can I fix this please?
Thanks for reading!

I have reduced the mains pressure via the stopcock
No you haven’t, you’ve answered your own issue, as you have reduced the flow, not presssure. To reduce the pressure would require a pressure reducing valve.

Are your pipes clipped correctly? Is it a new build property? Is it plastic piping?

I presume you are talking about the pre charge (air) pressure. If this equals or is > the mains pressure then it won't do much good, if you don't know the mains pressure suggest reducing this to say 2 to 2.5 bar and see how you get on.

Thanks for your replies.
I don't know the mains pressure as I don't have a device to test this.
Pipes are clipped everywhere I can get to them.
The house is c. 1960. It's got a mix of copper and plastic on both the hot and cold.
Thanks!

The shock arrester is to protect the boiler not the house plumbing .
As above from all the guys ^^^^^^ is your way forward, can be a nightmare to find , its usually a badly clipped pipe in my experience.

Reply to Banging despite arrestor being fitted in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock