Discuss ATL Training please help!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr Carter

Hello everybody I would be grateful if anybody could give me some serious advice...

I signed up with ATL Practical Training a year ago to train to be a gas engineer, and found the help from the 'tutors' very minimal so I stopped doing the course. I am now interested in training again to become a gas engineer, but when I researched ATL I found they are also known as many other company names such as 'Metropolitan International Schools Ltd' and now 'ERR' (according to City and Guilds)?? I was also told I could cancel the course at any time, which I have found is not the case and would have to pay £3000 to cancel it through Career Finance 4 Trade Skills Ltd!! It seems a lot of people have had problems with them, and are in the same boat.

This sounds very much like a scam and I was wondering whether anyone has done any training with ATL?

If so, did you have any problems? Also, did you get your qualifications in the end and were they up to date?

I would also be grateful if anyone can recommend any gas engineering courses?

Thanks everyone

Tony

Many threads on these courses which supposedly produce Gas Safe engineers in a few weeks for very large fees.No means of getting a practical portfolio.Lots of requests for help on here offering to work for nothing. If you manage this hurdle,little chance of employment because these courses are not well regarded.Best done through a local tech. apprenticeship course.

thanks very much for your advice. I am 26 years old would this be too old to start?

thanks very much for your advice. I am 26 years old would this be too old to start?
I believe that over 25 funding is very limited.You would need to ask a local Tech.I still strongly believe that the very expensive short course training centres are not the way to go.Most on here seem to be of the same opinion.To become properly qualified is very difficult as to gain a placement to complete the practical portfolio is really hard.Some TC's offer it with all kinds of small print.You could try a post on here re-over 25 apprenticeships.Do check out the offers of free work to try to complete qualification also think whether 4/6 weeks is enough to make someone gas safe.Sorry not to be able to offer positive encouragement.

It, in my opinion, takes 4-6 years to make a decent engineer, probably another 5 after that to make an experienced one.

Thanks for your response and help you have been very helpful.

What if I could fund for it on my own to go to a local tech to study could that increase my changes? How do people in general get qualified or get a practical portfolio if it is very hard?

Can you go through the plumbing or electrical route?

Hi 26 your only a snip of a lad, I'm 45 years young and in the same predicament as yourself, I'm nearing the end of a city & guilds level 2 plumbing and about to start my nvq lev 2 all done through a proper college, I have been advised not to worry about level 3 but to do the key parts as bolt on one day courses, and get my gas portfolio with a gas engineer for the acs and then get my gas safe ticket. there are plenty of colleges that offer individual courses.

I am currently doing my log book and have been for about 6 months. I am using a company based in Basildon and I thought they were OK. Please, please though take heed of what is being said about how much experience you really need. I am lucky in that my mentor is a relative and its my business which is taking responsibility for the work so I am in much more in control about where I go and can schedule my mentor so it works and I get proper practical direction. I am over 50 and very experienced in electrical, electronic and systems controls BUT after 6 months I feel just about comfortable on a hand full of 30-130KW warm air heaters, even so I have all the docs on my laptop and gas regs books in the vehicle. My mentor expects me to answer all questions on burner pressures, combustion settings, safety controls and what should be looked at for maintenance. It will probably another 6 months before log book is done and I go back for the ACS , even after all that I may be competent on just a handful of appliances compared to whats out there. Its a long road. Good luck

mr carter I haven't had any work experience yet, I won't start looking until I've finished my course in june, unfortunately I can't afford to give up my main job just yet, but I'm hoping to do some slave labour in return for some experience this summer.

Bacon Sandwich i am currently looking for companies to take me on so i can complete my ACS but to no prevail at the moment. I agree it is a long road ahead. Because when you do your test you have to pass every question to get your ACS passed. Then you gotta have 1 or 2 years experience.

Would you say close connections have helped you alot?

Twinkletoes it would be good if you started looking right away since it could take years to even get experience to complete your ACS

It's the old adage, it's not what you know but who you know. Unfortunately very true.

Mr Carter, great name by the way, thanks for the advise, I have an application in with british gas if that doesn't pan out, I'm working on my cv at the moment ready to bombard all the local companies

Welcome to the Forum.
But for the fact that you call your good self Mr Carter, I would have said you are young. But seeing you feel the need to be addressed as Mr, well.

One of the sponsors (OLCI Construction) on here provide training on the route you want to follow. They should be able to help you answer all those questions you are asking. Good lock

Hi Mr Carter,

Alana Fox here from OLCI Construction Training.

As Village Idiot mentioned, we can help you get qualified.

If you have any questions, please email me on [email protected] or phone me on 0800 316 8100.

Best wishes, Alana
www.olci.info

If you are going to be paying for training then make sure there is a provision that makes sure you get a placement to complete your qualifications and not leave you stranded.

That's so true because ATL leave u stranded they only give u theory and 8 weeks of training and then you have to find companies to take you on yourself and they dont give u any help but they happily charge your 6,000

Well, they are charging you £6,000 to train you, not secure you employment. In as much as having your Portfolio completed is a requirement for a successfully trained plumber etc, most training establishment will rather you sort that bit out yourself. You may be able to find training organisations that will go all the way and ensure you come out 'fully qualified', but they are few and far between

are you saying the 6,000 is nothing? If you know any send them my way please.....most training will do but in a way they say should go all the way instead of just taking your money because all they get is a bad reputation

Mr Carter, I will just be looking for work whether small company or large doesn't matter to me, I will just be happy to find someone who will take me on and allow me grow in my knowledge and experience and hopefully they will feel I can make there lives easier and worthwhile having around.

Mr Carter, I will just be looking for work whether small company or large doesn't matter to me, I will just be happy to find someone who will take me on and allow me grow in my knowledge and experience and hopefully they will feel I can make there lives easier and worthwhile having around.

Your absolutly right its all about the dedication to a caft or skill, how long u been in the plumbing business for?

im doing the gas course with atl, im finding them to be a bit crap to be honest and I am about to go in and do kmy first 2 weeks, did you do and of the practical stuff?

I haven't done any of the practical stuff but they don't even help me when needed properly, I i don't understand something they read it to you over the phone explain it over the phone or send you other books through the post but if you still don't under stand a topic they say you must wait until you go in for your practical week.

Your absolutly right its all about the dedication to a caft or skill, how long u been in the plumbing business for?

not in the business yet only done my first year at college and doing a few odd jobs for family and friends, and been doing my own plumbing for years.

how long have you been doing it and what module are you on? im just waiting togo in for my firstpractcall
I haven't done any of the practical stuff but they don't even help me when needed properly, I i don't understand something they read it to you over the phone explain it over the phone or send you other books through the post but if you still don't under stand a topic they say you must wait until you go in for your practical week.

Have you approached any colleges and enquired about night classes (gotta be cheaper than your paying surely), also try some locals for weekend free experience that way you will understand more of the basics quicker and get some evidence.

Have you approached any colleges and enquired about night classes (gotta be cheaper than your paying surely), also try some locals for weekend free experience that way you will understand more of the basics quicker and get some evidence.

I have looked into night classes but there is far and few in London

I am on my 6 module. How long have you been waiting to go on your practical for?

im oing in this month for my first 2 weeks had to wait a wile and e a crei confermationheet o prove I beenpaying the finace ndi had t chase them to get it bookeam tll witing for letter o confermaton thughand I been 2 weeks.

im oing in this month for my first 2 weeks had to wait a wile and e a crei confermationheet o prove I beenpaying the finace ndi had t chase them to get it bookeam tll witing for letter o confermaton thughand I been 2 weeks.

Craig man that's a nasty lisp you've got there.

Say what?

are you saying the 6,000 is nothing? If you know any send them my way please.....most training will do but in a way they say should go all the way instead of just taking your money because all they get is a bad reputation

Were you forced by them to pay out £6,000, NO. You say they should give you all you need (go all the way) or else they will just get a bad name? Why should they get a bad name?
When you attend Cambridge or Oxford, do they give you a job at the end of your tuition?
If you went to study Law at Oxford or Cambridge, do you think they will provide you with a Law firm/Chambers for you to do your legal apprenticeship/training?

The onus is on you to try your utmost best to approach plumbers and plumbing firms and secure a placement for getting your portfolio evidence sorted, instead of blaming the course provider for training you

Were you forced by them to pay out £6,000, NO. You say they should give you all you need (go all the way) or else they will just get a bad name? Why should they get a bad name?
When you attend Cambridge or Oxford, do they give you a job at the end of your tuition?
If you went to study Law at Oxford or Cambridge, do you think they will provide you with a Law firm/Chambers for you to do your legal apprenticeship/training?

The onus is on you to try your utmost best to approach plumbers and plumbing firms and secure a placement for getting your portfolio evidence sorted, instead of blaming the course provider for training you

Well they did promise me help and advice to help me contact employers and the woman on the phone declined to helping me with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ATL Training please help!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock