Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone used this Makita cordless kit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the impact version and to be honest it is superb if you are realistic with what you are asking it to do

Iv got the Bosch impact and drill driver. Both the 10.8v versions and I highly rate them. Never used the makita ones but don't think they look as well made as the bosch

got them and would easily reconmmend them ! ive used the impact driver to put in all type of screws. theres light and ive dropped them impact driver from a few heights and not broke. i abuse mine and still working

Go for the milwaukees. More tools, better batteries. Hardly ever bother getting my 18v kit off the van now.

Had the Bosch in the past, not a patch on the Milwaukee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for the milwaukees. More tools, better batteries. Hardly ever bother getting my 18v kit off the van now.

Any specific models that you are referring to?

I was looking at these recently, I have loads of 18v Makita but was very tempted by these. Although do I really need them seeing as I already have three combi's now large and mediums, impact driver and angle drill. Didn't fancy an extra charger and another battery system.
The guys in my local tool shop who stock loads of Makita didn't rate them and said they were too plasticy, he said go for the Dewalts or Bosh twinpack.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Wiped Makita from my "commercial usable tools - list". Spend a lot of money on tools which I barely could use as they spent most of the time at repairs and came back worse than I had handed them in. My battery drill (MXT) spend almost 4 month for various repairs within the first year and I had to replace 3 No. batteries in the same time despite barely being able to use it.

My intention was to work with it and not to work for it. Got myself a "cheap" Ryobi 3 gear so I had at least a drill to work with. Now I got most of their cordless tools lingering about and being useful whenever they are needed. Makita is for occasional hobby use now.

they are fine for screwdriving and small holes. Not going to do much for you if you want to drill alot of holes about 15-20mm and wont ever replace a good set of 18v tools.

i have got 10.8v drills/tools in both bosch,milwaukee and dewalt. Bosch are great and small, milwaukee abit bigger but good range of tools,batts and power, dewalt are my fav as they are so comfortable to hold and use and good power.

the metabo 10.8v is the only one i have never used and i want too.....:(

they are fine for screwdriving and small holes.
yupp, great for drilling shower screens or fixing kitchen sinks as not so over powered for that. A 3mm drill bit in the 18V gun is snapping easily. I got the Bosch 3.6V screw driver and the 10.8V drill and these are great for things like that. But drilling a tile with them would not be a great idea. Especially if it comes to vitrified or similar tiles.

The 12mm and 18mm flat bits are still going if the bit is sharp but anything bigger it does not look at. But speed is different. And you are swapping batteries both handed.

But indeed they are no far of the early 18V NiCd drills. But much better to handle.

Any specific models that you are referring to?

The M12 range. I have the screwdriver, impact driver, combi drill and hackzall. I drilled a 28mm hole in a 1" thick timber with the combi drill yesterday. Brilliant performance in a tool/battery so small. The batteries are full charged in 10/15 mins too.

There are loads of other tools In the range now too, the latest one is a mini sds that will drill 60 7mm holes in masonry on a single charge and is almost small enough to fit in a holster pocket.

I thought about getting the makita stuff but then saw a video of it head to head with the dewalt 10.8 stuff, dewalt was far superior and has a better range

I think its one of those things where you cant rule out a brand based on 1 or 2 of their power tools as im sure there will be some excellent stuff from each company...its when you start buying it in kits to save a few quid it gets difficult as 1 item in the kit might be the mutts nuts and does what its supposed to do, but the other item in the kit is just an ok item and then lets the package/brand down a bit.

I think for me, what im going to do is find out what seems to be the best power tool I need based on user reviews and opinions from everyone on here....might eork out more expensive initially but think it would save buying a kit and then replacing part of the kit with a better item further down the line....who knows.

I think its one of those things where you cant rule out a brand based on 1 or 2 of their power tools as im sure there will be some excellent stuff from each company...its when you start buying it in kits to save a few quid it gets difficult as 1 item in the kit might be the mutts nuts and does what its supposed to do, but the other item in the kit is just an ok item and then lets the package/brand down a bit.

I think for me, what im going to do is find out what seems to be the best power tool I need based on user reviews and opinions from everyone on here....might eork out more expensive initially but think it would save buying a kit and then replacing part of the kit with a better item further down the line....who knows.

you are looking to hard into things, lets get back to basics. What do you need the drill/tools for? nobody should be buying 10.8/12v tools unless they have some 18v tools and have decided they need smaller stuf for certain jobs. What i mean by this is that if you are going to be buying some tools for the first time or as your main kit then you really want to be getting tools that can cope with most jobs thrown at them. Its no point having a small 10.8v drill and then want to drill holes for waste pipes etc.... a 18v drill will do everything a 10.8 drill will do and many other things.

did that make sense?

That made perfect sense to me, it is my first set of power tools im going to be buying so I reckon you have just saved me a bunch of money by suggesting the 18v stuff which will cover more jobs than lower power tools.....I was also thinking of the weight difference with the bigger stuff....not that im a weakling or anything but it all contributes to the descision process.

How many drills do people actually have that they use for most day to day jobs? (impact, drill/driver, combi, hammer)

That made perfect sense to me, it is my first set of power tools im going to be buying so I reckon you have just saved me a bunch of money by suggesting the 18v stuff which will cover more jobs than lower power tools.....I was also thinking of the weight difference with the bigger stuff....not that im a weakling or anything but it all contributes to the descision process.

How many drills do people actually have that they use for most day to day jobs? (impact, drill/driver, combi, hammer)

for me i would say you would want a set of 18v tools of the same manufacture using the same batterys something like :

cordless drill driver or combi drill (for screwdriving and drilling holes, combi drill is not that important if you have an sds and would add weight)

cordless sds (an 18v sds will be perfect for most fixings and small holes through walls, can also chisel/chip small jobs. use your 110v drill for major work)

cordless circular saw (a must for getting up floors, cutting timbers etc)

cordless rip saw (not as important but very handy for cutting in places that your circular cant get to, plunge cutting its great)

torch (for up lofts,under floors etc...)

radio (to help make the day go quickly and find out if theres traffic on the way home from job)

tools to consider adding at a later time when needed:

jigsaw
grinder
smaller drill driver

The most used tool will be the drill driver/combi drill, if you only have one it will need to be a top of the range one with 60-80 nm of torque. this will drill almost any hole you would wish to in wood,plastic and metals.

if i was on a limited budget i would get dewalt xr li-on followed my makita li-on. This is because they are well priced, you can get bare tools to add to your set for very cheap and the batterys are very cheap to buy extra's.

Last edited:
I have 1 of these sets they are fantastic for what I use them for (Clipping flues and fit the occasional rad) But if I was doing installs I would go for something bigger as the chuck on the drill wont take my larger hole saw.

The best thing I had was my dewalt flouresant light when I did site work it meant that I could start at 8 and finish at 5 even in the middle of winter. It is definately a must buy in my eyes

Another thing is if you use alot of cordless tools then have plenty of batteries and a couple of chargers. I used to have 6 so I didnt have to keep swapping between tools I used all the time and circ saws grinders wear out the batteries in no time.

I have the makita 18v range for my day to day jobs but bought the 10.8v impact simply so that i was not having to change from a drill to a screwdriver bit every two mins. We all have our favorites but i liked the 18v makita combi drill because the at the time it was the only one which was easy to get between joists when drilling and was lighter than most- If you went with Makita then beware that there are several versions of their combi drills. i can only say that at times, i have abused the drill and asked it to do more than its specification and its not let me down.

Ok so this Makita kit is defo not going to be used as anyones main gear, but will have a use for some folks on a daily basis.

Budget wise for me isnt as important as wasting money buying stuff that I wont need or regret getting and replacing it with something else...so looked at some 18v stuff and like the look of the Panasonic tool, very expensive but has good specs on paper.....cant find many reviews on them but I also cant find anything bad about them either.

So basically gone from a budget set to one of the top end sets: [DLMURL="http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/18v-drill-drivers/panasonic-eyc157-18v-li-ion-twin-kit-inc-ey7450-drill-ey7550-impact-driver-2x-33ah-li-ion-batteries.html"]Panasonic EYC157 18V Li-ion Twin Kit inc EY7450 Drill Driver & EY7550 Impact Driver 2x 3.3Ah Li-Ion Batteries[/DLMURL]

One of the problems I have is not knowing what tools im really going to need for the day to day jobs....this is where any work experience that comes my way while still at college will be most usefull too....along with all your suggestions on here of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 18v Milwaukee as well as 12v. It's all awesome, not only in terms of build quality, but also performance. My buddie with the 18v Makita kit says its noticeably better to use than his stuff. Best thing about Makita is the sheer amount of tools that fit the same batteries.

Heard good things about Panasonic and hilti, but again, you're into big money. If you're gonna be giving your gear serious abuse, I'd steer clear of Makita and Dewalt personally, as professional tools go, they're bottom rung. Bosch would be the middle ground I'd say.

Makita tools are crap, best power tools hands down are Panasonic. I've got all Panasonic tools apart from a 18v lxt driver (the one with the metal gearbox) and its crap. It cost best part of £400 and a year later the batteries are shagged. Panasonic batteries last forever and you hardly need to charge them up as much as makita

I still like the Panasonic stuff based on paper specs and what little ive found review wise and everyone on here seems to like them although not many actually own them as are a bit pricey....only thing that puts me off is they only have a 1 year warranty comapred to some other brands.

Hilti & Panasonic work together, from what I hear, to produce Hilti cordless with Panasonic batteries.
I was in a local Hilti store last week & was very surprised at the reasonable price of their combi cordless. Better to call & speak with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone used this Makita cordless kit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock