Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on connection between P trap and outlet in the Ireland area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello! Thanks so much for looking at my problem. I'm not a professional so I'd really appreciate any advice you can give.

My problem: I have a bathroom sink with a P trap that has an integrated flexible accordion-style section. Unsurprisingly, it leaks and stinks. It's also installed backwards. I know it needs to go. However, it does not connect directly to the larger diameter permanently installed pipe which protrudes from the wall. (I have heard this referred to as the outlet, but I am unsure of the term. Again, not a pro)

What I would like to know is if I can replace only the P trap, or if I also need to replace the pipe running back to the outlet to reduce the vertical distance between the bottom of the trap and outlet. Right now it is about 6 inches.

I will probably need to cut the pipe from the sink to the P trap to accommodate a real trap, but I wanted to get an idea of how much I'll need to change. I have attached a photo to better explain what the issue is. Will I need to raise the P trap so that the exit of the trap is the same height as the outlet?
20201125_193737.jpg
h
I am located in Michigan, USA.

Thanks so much for your time and help! I want to be sure I'm replacing this correctly.

Last edited:

Reply to Advice on connection between P trap and outlet in the Ireland area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock