Discuss Level 3 plumbing and gas courses... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil there is a whisper going round that your a mackem and drink bass shandy ? Quickest and easiest isn't always best. Bit like going doon bigg market on the pull.

Cheapest ermy cheapest not easiest ;)
Nowts easy :rolleyes:

If I put myself in their shoes for a minute I imagine id feel rather more at ease to admitting that i rented my back door for fun than admitting to being a mackem.

For the record just to be clear on this as I feel im digging a hole here with my terminology. .

I am not and i do not. :eek:

Why bother with level 3. Not many gas engineers are.
Use your 6189 to upskill as a cat2 and spend the money you would have spent on the level 3 on the upskill course.

I did level 3. At the end you still aren't gas safe, as a cat2 upskill you will be

What is a cat 2 up skill? I only want the level 3 as I was advised this included the gas. Also the extra plumbing knowledge would be a great help. The company I currently work for does a variety of jobs including complete bathroom installations to combi swaps, which I enjoy. Unfortunately the boss wants me to earn £50 a day for the quite foreseeable future. I can't afford to work for that so I'm trying to find the right route to go down.

Any nay advice would be appreciated.

Level 3 does not include full gas. If you are referring to the latest city and guilds 6035 level 3. I just spent nigh on 2 years doing it.
You touch on gas and cover all the principles such as purging, pipe sizing, flueing and ventilation, gas rates and heat input, ntcs, id, , part L etc, G3, vitiation gas controls and spillage testing etc. and the course in general is heavily theory based with no practical worth talking about. I sat 6 gas exam papers which are on file for whatever reason and passed them all. They are however worthless at this point.
They are identical to the ACS papers, and I know that because we had a gas safe lad on our course who was wanting to move into training and be needed his level 3 and teacher training, we picked his brains and he said they were identical.
Also they were adjudicated amongst others by 2 well known gas safe assessors in the north east who take the re-acs etc.
But you would still have to find a placement at the end with a gas engineer and all of the details regarding what aspects of practical gas work undertaken recorded and the final ACS week paid for in addition and sat at further expense (including exam papers)
We did ask what courses follow ours on and they said nothing that they do, just uni.
That was gateshead college.

Im my opinion I am pleased I did the level 3.
We were told, perhaps as you were we would be doing gas and we were led to believe we would be qualified at the end....but we are not qualified at the end lol.
But it depends on the individual, if you want to get into gas quick, then the level 3 is not the fastest route, if you dont mind spending a further 2 years plus studying as I have then thats fine too.
The advantage of the level 3 is that with a year at uni, what I might do at some point, I can convert it into a degree for building services etc.

Cat 2 upskill is for people who hold the full level 2 6189 who are generally wet plumber's. Google it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically cat 2 upskill is a route into the ACS assessments based in the fact I'm NVQ 2 qualified??

Yes. In essence.
If you have the full nvq 2 and access to a gas engineer. You can enter gas via cat 2.

Yes. In essence.
If you have the full nvq 2 and access to a gas engineer. You can enter gas via cat 2.
Yes that is what I have. I also work with a gas engineer bit he's reluctant to help cos he thinks I want top dollar straight away.

You still need to learn all the basic foundation upon which the principles of gas operate tho.

Dont be under any illusion that it will be easy as you will have no structured training on the theory side.

Without that you will have great difficulty passing the papers.

They are not easy and some gas lads dont even pass on re-acs.

But providing you can, then cat 2 is an option

You still need to learn all the basic foundation upon which the principles of gas operate tho.

Dont be under any illusion that it will be easy as you will have no structured training on the theory side.

Without that you will have great difficulty passing the papers.

They are not easy and some gas lads dont even pass on re-acs.

But providing you can, then cat 2 is an option

I don't think it will be easy so I have already been reading my corgi book

email received from below: I asked if level 2 has to be completed prior.

Dear Paul

Thank you for contacting City & Guilds Customer Services .

If the individual is a competent level 3 candidate then it is possible. This would be the decision making of the college or training centre that one applies to as they will all have their measure of determining whether they can place a learner on a level 3.

Last edited:
Seems to be a bit of a minefield.
My nipper has done all NVQ level 2 except final Gola and booth work.
So it’s starting from scratch, as the above is as good as a chocolate teapot.
The best way forward that I see, is: find a good engineer, be their fetch and carry brush monkey for the first year (LEARN), during that period discuss just what’s the best way forward exam wise. We know Part P is one of the courses to do.
What we’ve learned from using the forum is: too many are too keen to run before they can walk.
Find a good engineer, chill-out and learn from them.
Slow and steady.

Gola has now been abolished and something else instead across the whole course instead of final gola

Hi I've only passed the nvql2 tech 6129 I did this In college city of Bristol 2011 but just can't seem to get any further with it and plumbing is what I really want to do in my life. I ring up employers and big firms and they never have anything to offer. What's the best foot path to get up in the plumbing game. I feel gutted I can't do what I enjoy.

Level 3 does not include full gas. If you are referring to the latest city and guilds 6035 level 3. I just spent nigh on 2 years doing it.
You touch on gas and cover all the principles such as purging, pipe sizing, flueing and ventilation, gas rates and heat input, ntcs, id, , part L etc, G3, vitiation gas controls and spillage testing etc. and the course in general is heavily theory based with no practical worth talking about. I sat 6 gas exam papers which are on file for whatever reason and passed them all. They are however worthless at this point.
They are identical to the ACS papers, and I know that because we had a gas safe lad on our course who was wanting to move into training and be needed his level 3 and teacher training, we picked his brains and he said they were identical.
Also they were adjudicated amongst others by 2 well known gas safe assessors in the north east who take the re-acs etc.
But you would still have to find a placement at the end with a gas engineer and all of the details regarding what aspects of practical gas work undertaken recorded and the final ACS week paid for in addition and sat at further expense (including exam papers)
We did ask what courses follow ours on and they said nothing that they do, just uni.
That was gateshead college.

Im my opinion I am pleased I did the level 3.
We were told, perhaps as you were we would be doing gas and we were led to believe we would be qualified at the end....but we are not qualified at the end lol.
But it depends on the individual, if you want to get into gas quick, then the level 3 is not the fastest route, if you dont mind spending a further 2 years plus studying as I have then thats fine too.
The advantage of the level 3 is that with a year at uni, what I might do at some point, I can convert it into a degree for building services etc.

Cat 2 upskill is for people who hold the full level 2 6189 who are generally wet plumber's. Google it.

Nobody should be led to believe that the 6035 will make you gas safe registered. In fact the 6035 is not aligned to any competence person schemes, contains a unit on furthering your career all for good reason. It is aimed at and for people not working in the industry, to ensure it is fit for purpose and achievable by inexperienced people it doesnt contain content that would be difficult to achieve if not working in the industry. If it did lead to CPS then employers would see it as a shortcut, it doesnt and therefore employers respect it more knowing a candidate has to develop and be assessed further to progress to 6189 or/and ACS

theres no gas practical assessment in 6035 but i would expect learners to do some practical training to help with understanding, then be assessed theory only as foundation knowledge for ACS later should they progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Level 3 plumbing and gas courses... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back