Search the forum,

Discuss 3 questions regarding ideal instinct boiler/central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

M

Mazonas

Hi,

I have ideal instinct boiler and central heating in a house. I have 3 simple questions regarding the boiler, central heating. Because of the certain circumstances I never need hot water in the property, and I only need to heat the property during the winter months.
Boiler operates in 3 modes; ''off'', ''summer mode'' (in this mode it only heats domestic water) and ''winter mode'' (in this mode it heats domestic water and provides central heating).
The questions are:

1. Is it necessary to have electricity supply to the boiler on all year round? In the manual it says it needs to be on all the time: ''The boiler mains power supply must be left on to enable frost protection''. Can actually anything happen to the boiler if mains power supply is off for a good half a year or even longer (for example during spring, summer, autumn)?

2. Can anything bad happen to the boiler if I never run hot water even if it heats it? Cause in ''winter mode'' (the only mode that I use) it does heat domestic water and provides central heating at a same time even if I don't need hot water.

3. Can anything bad happen to certain radiators (in a long run) if they are turned off all the time? I only need some of the radiators on.

Hi Mazonas

You will see on page 3 of your user guide (https://idealheating.com/uploads/documents/instinct-userguide.pdf) that you can switch the hot water pre-heat function off to save energy. Then the water will only heat when someone turns on a tap.
If you are going to switch off at the wall for most of the year you would need to be very careful not to forget to turn on before there is any risk of frost.
You also need to consider the effect on your house of not having heating during cold periods in spring and autumn, whether this could affect the fabric of the house, dampness, ventilation etc
Whether the boiler will take any harm from being left off may depend on its age and condition and whether it has been regularly serviced. My advice would be to get in a Gas Safe Registered service engineer to do a service, and discuss it with them, they will need the radiators on to carry out some of the tests.

Reply to 3 questions regarding ideal instinct boiler/central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock