Discuss Working On My Vocal Work (Payment) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have been plumbing for around 16 months ,but I think I’m having issues with the ”Ohhs and ahhs”. I have completed some jobs where the customer has not paid, the latest was a new basin and some other general plumbing work, all was going fine until I asked for payment. The customer was totally happy with the work carried out. The customer asked me if I could come back tomorrow and she’d pay me. Arrived next day at the aranged time and no answer, despite the tv being on. She has now sent me a text saying she can’t pay. I’ve had 14 jobs I’ve completed where the customer has either paid nothing or a fraction of the cost of the work completed. I think I need help from experienced plumbers on my vocal work and getting the “ohhs and ahhs” just right, so I get paid. My prices are average and I work to good standards. I’m thinking of taking my Gas next year and I don’t want this sort of thing occurring on boiler installs for example. Many thanks Steve

Do you provide a quote or estimate before you start?

Both depends on the job of small normally quote if big job / risk of going wrong estimate

A quote is a quote

An estimate is an estimate

Proving either would reduce the chances of the issues the op is facing .

True but a quote is fixed an estimat isn't

That’s a shocking rate of non payers.
In 22 years of self employment, I’ve had 2 non payers.
Maybe I’m lucky. Or is it that I don’t let them have a chance at not paying.

Thats Dire mate you will be out of business in no time at that rate , you need to provide a written or printed estimate for each job you take on and agree the terms of payment before starting . Self employed plumber you need to be making £200 a day or you may aswell work on the books , don't be afraid to ask for part payment up front either that way your not gonna take such a bit hit if you have a non payer . Cheers kop

give them all another invoice with 7 days to pay if no payment within 7 days then another letter saying you are passing it to a debt collector. sell the debt on. they will soon cotton on you wont get all you are owed but will get some i think they pay you about 75% or thereabouts.

give them all another invoice with 7 days to pay if no payment within 7 days then another letter saying you are passing it to a debt collector. sell the debt on. they will soon cotton on you wont get all you are owed but will get some i think they pay you about 75% or thereabouts.

That's an interesting idea

Wonder how the OP is providing an invoice?

thats the advice that my friend had when someone disputed an invoice, you have to keep records of all contact though. always put your terms on the invoices make it either payment on completion or within 7 days, then reminder is 7 days and after that its letter to say passing to debt collection or take them to small claims court.

luckily in all my time only had 1 non payment and they went into aministration so didnt bother following up, as bill was £70.00 would have cost me more in paperwork to the administartors and then i would have been bottom of the payment list.

Reply to Working On My Vocal Work (Payment) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back