Discuss 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Why would I be reported for that though mate ?
Not trying to argue here, I’ve just never been told this.
At college when the question of trying to find a drop even if within limits was asked the answer was there no need but if you want to try and find it then you can.

As it’s acceptable and safe

Let’s say you’ve had a 2.5 mbar drop you spend 1/2 a day looking around and testing you find it and fix it

Give the customer a bill of let’s pick a figure £200 every other engineer hasn’t picked this fault up / says it needs repairing

Customer says how much, they phones gas safe up and say I want to see if something sounds right with you

I’ve had a gas leak of 2.5 mbar and the engineers found it and repaired it but it’s cost me 200 did it need repairing

They will ask the customer a few questions or send an inspector out etc

And they will say no it’s within acceptable limits Customer won’t pay the bill etc

This confuses me too, so harvest has said once he found where the gas was coming from, he would cap it as obviously it isn't acceptable for a valve to be passing gas. But if you haven't gone looking for the leak it's acceptable? Just seems that if we're ignorant we can pass it off. I know we're only following rules but from a safety point, why aren't we forced to confirm whether the drop is through fluctuation or an actual leak? The no smell of gas rule is a little ignorant too as the gas will just go out the flue or chimney so it's unlikely you'll smell it.

As it’s acceptable and safe

Let’s say you’ve had a 2.5 mbar drop you spend 1/2 a day looking around and testing you find it and fix it

Give the customer a bill of let’s pick a figure £200 every other engineer hasn’t picked this fault up / says it needs repairing

Customer says how much, they phones gas safe up and say I want to see if something sounds right with you

I’ve had a gas leak of 2.5 mbar and the engineers found it and repaired it but it’s cost me 200 did it need repairing

They will ask the customer a few questions or send an inspector out etc

And they will say no it’s within acceptable limits Customer won’t pay the bill etc
Ok I get where your coming from with that side of things.
I thought you were meaning I wouldn’t be doing something safely.
I wouldn’t do that though tbf, if I chose to do that just for my own piece of mind then any extra time taken would be on me.

Ok I get where your coming from with that side of things.
I thought you were meaning I wouldn’t be doing something safely.
I wouldn’t do that though tbf, if I chose to do that just for my own piece of mind then any extra time taken would be on me.

Thing is if you take that stance good luck as you could be buying new cookers and gas valves/ fires for people out if your own pocket and can’t charge for

Reply to 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock