Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Working for builders in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballandco

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've just got a new builder contact and have done some first fix plumbing & heating works on a property up town , I was told payment is every 2 weeks , 5 weeks later I have finally been paid today followed by a phone call straight after asking me to come back and second fix , the contact seems all rite but he's got a partner I haven't met that sorts the money's etc . Just after people's thoughts about going back , I don't wanna let him down but I can't be bothered with the stress of chasing again . They also sent me plans of 3 new builds to price but again if regular payments aren't there I don't wanna no , go back or wide birth cheers

If they hadnt needed the second fix, how much longer would you have had to wait?

Have a word, tell them that you are fine with the two weeks, but if its even half a day longer than you will charge them a late payment fee. 5% for every 7 days over the 14, and get it in writing.

If you don't need it, tell them to go swing. They obviously just payed to get you back, ask for money up front.

Yea that was what I was thinking if they didn't need me back how long would I wait, I will have a word and see what he says ,

Do the second fix and let us know how long you wait for your money.

It's not about feeling bad letting someone down, it's about getting on the same playing field as the builder. He obviously sees you as someone who will wait for their money - from scratch, so it will be the same from here on.

He has you in the middle to the lower end of his payment cycle / priority, so that's where you will stay.

Either get something sorted out quick smart and in writing, or leave him in the lurch.

In the last 3 years, I have walked away from more jobs than ever because of this exact situation.
Receive and overdue payment and be expected to front up the following week to do more work.

But it may be resolved with a simple one on one conversation.
Tell the bloke you like working for him but you want regular and scheduled payments.

Just always err on the side of caution, and ask yourself, if he has so much work why does he need a new plumber.

I spent several years working for builders and its only a matter of time before you get some payment issue .

I probably spent a year to long working for them in fairness, like anything they control your money and if they don't get paid then you have no chance.As always its always cash-flow if the client has not paid builder why would they pay you?

As oz has said your way down the payment plan they have so at times you will probably wait a few weeks maybe longer in my case many months for 40 odd K.

The other thing you have to be wary about is you can do a pukka first fix and tested, and some idiot chippe comes along breaks a pipe and never tells you , this seems always to come back to the plumber from my experience .

Having said all this i worked for some notorious large scale builders and when it came to paying me they were great , it was the smaller builders i had probs with .

Mind you received an email from david wilson homes this morning about contracting to them on new builds ,,,,,,builders pffft

My rule

Never work as a subbie for a builder, he can go bust and you are out ££££'s you never know his finances and he will promise you the earth to get you on board and then shaft you when it suits him.

And most builders would never pay you up front, if they do then that's fair enough

I get worried when a private customer owes me over a grand.
I cant be bothered with chasing and wouldn't let there bill reach any more than that.
So in short, working for builders isn't for me. Used to do it for small amounts but even that was a pain. One went bust owing me afew hundred which I never even bothered going round for. I'd rather sit at home

This idea that builders should only pay you after their client has paid them is madness. When I order materials from a merchant, I don't rely on the customer to pay me before I settle my bill with the merchant. OK, so the merchant gives me a 30 days grace period which allows for plenty of time for me to get paid before settling my bill, but should the customer default, I still have to pay the bill.
Also, if I call/ask a ''friend'' to assist me with a job, I pay them on completion (all the time). I do not wait for the customer to pay me before I pay them. Builders are a pain in the rear. I would stay clear except you are desperate for the work. As oz says, if he is that busy, where is the plumber he use to have? They will use you, delay payment and move to the next desperate plumber and so on

its always the same with builders long waits for payments but they often have plenty of work we always mixed it up never relying solely on builders work
we worked on and of for one buiulder for 20 years and in the end we got knocked for a couple of grand when we worked it out it was probably 50p a day of every day we had worked for him and we had probably had 40k labour of him over the years which at least made us feel better

Well should of blown that out , went there yesterday hang and piped all these designer rads on my own as one of there guys didn't turn up (weighed a ton) managed to get all done , refilled system balanced etc . Thought that was a good days work ...moody Phone call this morning 1 rad to low even though I was told to 1st fix my tails at the height , another rad in wrong position apparently design had changed and I wasn't told , telling me to get back today which I politley told him to feck off , should of trusted my gut waste of time but at least I got paid my 1st fix

If you have plans go back with them in hand and say these are extras and you will have to pay for it. If you don't do it you won't get a penny.

Tell them you'll go back when payments made. Or ask for 70% in good faith to go back, and then don't!

Well, you win some you loose some. I'd not bother going back, though I'd phone them and arrange a day to attend and resolve the 'issues' but when the day comes, I'd just not go there. Then make another arrangement and not turn up till they get the message. That will definitely upset the client as well (serves them right).
Should you choose to go back, my gut instinct says you'll have to beat them up to get your money. Better loose a days work than a weeks work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Working for builders in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock