Discuss Why I hate small jobs in a nutshell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Phone rings - 'Hi, can you come and replace our bath taps, we want a bath/shower mixer thingy. We also have a leak under our kitchen sink. How much will it be?'

Me - 'Usually £60 plus VAT for the first hour which is normally enough to sort both of those out.'

I get there with the apprentice. Turns out to be the original taps on an old cast iron bath. The brass backing nuts have seized onto the cast iron bath so well that nothing, and I mean nothing is getting them off. Only option is to angle grind off the taps and knock them through as there is no room to get the angle grinder underneath the bath. I explain to the customer that there is a good chance this could damage the bath. Customer understandably doesn't want to risk it as they are having the bathroom replaced next year.

Thus no pay there today.

Leaking kitchen sink waste, cheap imported sink with non-standard fittings underneath, has been bodged already. No standard pipe or trap can be inserted into the leaking outlet to repair the leak. Tried some plumbers gold, not very confident it is going to stop the leak so didn't charge any labour at all this evening.

Potentially out of this I may have a sink replacement and a bathroom install but there's a good chance I've wasted 2 hours completely tonight. All for what would have been probably £30 profit normally!

This one was an old brass back nut. I've used the Fein before to cut plastic ones that are tight but does it cut brass ones?

Yes...bi-metal blade and a case of just hacking at the nut in whatever place it will fit into and then spiting the nut with a chisel.

I tend to have a backlog of small jobs which I can do in between larger ones or whilst waiting for stuff to be delivered so you aren't non-productive. Yes some small jobs can be a pain but I give them an hourly rate and tell them it will probably be so long but at worst can be so long etc. Thats the rate, take it or leave it......

Yes...bi-metal blade and a case of just hacking at the nut in whatever place it will fit into and then spiting the nut with a chisel.

Interesting. I grudge paying full price for Fein blades. Luckily I have the old style Fein that accepts cheap blades off Ebay. Got 40 wood blades for it on Ebay for £60recently. Will look for bi-metal blades on there too. Cheers.

you think 60 is cheap, me too, i lost 95% of my work from a company today by a man who is doing jobs like this for £35.. he must live in a mud hut.. i hate the north east..

i love jobbing, much more money for much less effort.
ok so occasionally you get a pain in the bum job, but you will win far more than you lose.

It's odd everyone seems to make money in different places. I seem to make a significantly higher margin per day doing installs than jobbing about, servicing or repairs - perhaps too cheap on the latter?

I like to do a mixture, an install early in the week and then jobbing to fill the gaps. I'm far to fluxed to nothing but installs. And it's nice to wind down the week jobbing.

I make much more money on installs than small repairs and servicing. I enjoy putting in my own work more than fixing other people's as well to be honest. Less stressful.

Small jobs suck. Mono block in our main bathroom come loose, tightened up and the 4p mmonoblock back washer crumpled. Any ideas where I can get one Saturday pm?

I have a tub that i put things in like that when I remove old item and keep in van along with things like pump screws.

ive carried the center screw from a gunfoss pump around for the last twenty years since the day i dropped one down a hole in the floor of an airing cupboard

And you wont need it till the day you dont have it. Maybe we should start wearing parts jewelry to ward off the dropped screw between the floor boards or down the soil pipe JuJu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why I hate small jobs in a nutshell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back