Discuss Why dose draining down sometimes cause leaks on parts you have not touched? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_d_o_t

Gas Engineer
Hi
as the title says, drained down a system via radiator drain off, replaced radiator...
gone to fill up now the isolation valves on the boilers CH return are piddling out

but trying to explain to the customer that we haven't touched them is going to be a tricky one...

what reason would this be to make them understand?

thanks Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
i said "when systems are under pressure the seals and washers are also under pressure, if you then take away the pressure by draining down, the washers and seals go into a relaxed state and if there old they may leak once put back under pressure again"

think that sound about right, but if anyone could add to that?

Sounds alright to me.
This is one of those things that we understand but customers don't.
Like when you close the stopcock to do a job and it starts to leak when you open it up again.

If you've drained down already should be easy to fix anyways,

This is why I always leave a little extra in the price or give a between X and Y price for the unseen that usually will go wrong

If they are part of the boiler then it's a quick conversation with the custard and a replace, if they are just carp balafix valves then I'd drain down again and remove them with no extra charge, shouldn't take long and put it down as a job that didn't earn but one that just made wage!?

If they are part of the boiler then it's a quick conversation with the custard and a replace, if they are just carp balafix valves then I'd drain down again and remove them with no extra charge, shouldn't take long and put it down as a job that didn't earn but one that just made wage!?

No way... Why should this guy take responsibility!?

If you go to a garage & they find faults or whatever it's all extra! Same as are game, it's leaking, not the ops fault so he should repair & charge extra!

Because if I can do it and not lose its good service, if I need to order parts it's extra!

Depending on the job I'm charging day rate anyway!

I agree with CH4

If they are a pain then I would charge extra

If they are reasonable people and it wont cost me much

As they are more likely to recommend me

Well if there nice & simple I would too, but not if there built into boiler, or if I just refilled with inhibitor & am ready to leave lol!

To be fair to the op I would refill & blast with heat, that sometimes reseals bits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why dose draining down sometimes cause leaks on parts you have not touched? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock