Search the forum,

Discuss When does a room become a compartment? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogwai

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Got pulled up by a manager the other day as on a job i diagnosed a glowworm ultimate 50bf with a faulty gas valve.
Now the room the boiler was installed in had a wc and a basin in and it never crossed my mind that this room was a compartment and my manager is calling me in as he says i shouldve ar'd the boiler as the room had no additional ventilation.
The room is also outside in a covered walk way at the side of a house
Just wanted to know what you guys think.

To me if you can open the door walk in and close it behind you and still have room to work on the boiler its a room not a compartment

It's the qubic size but I can't remember what it is is have o look it up someone will know

That was quick there lol , got answer I suspect hey ment m3

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the flue position correct ? Not into a carport ect ?

Sounds very harsh to Ar for that.

It must be a very big compartment to get a wc and sink in it,

if you can fit a table and a chair in there its not a compartment

I would have thought it was a room you where in, not a compartment. Plus I think it's harsh to AR. it'd have thought NCS would be ok if they wanted to class this space as a compartment, due to the size.

Hows it going at the AA anyway mate?

Yeah flue is fine....on an outside wall into their garden....as previously said i think to ar the boiler it would be harsh but my manager obviously thinks different. Have a meeting with him on wednesday...will let u know what he says. Thanks for yer thoughts lads.

corgi man told me years ago if you can get in with the boiler and shut the door behind you its a room although i have seen a cubic measurement mentioned on here as nowdays no one is allowed to make a judgement if there is a toilet and basin in there as well as a boiler its almost certainly a room
i would get the definative answer monday morning from gas safe so as to be ready for the managers questions either way

Last edited:
Wouldit not be classed as a cloak room ? With it have facility's in

i would definitely argue that it is a cloak room regardless of size im sure if it was your managers house and he was selling it he would describe it as a cloak ROOM

Check it out:

From current BS 6798:2009
Specification for installation and maintenance of gas-fired boilers of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net

5.3.2 Boiler compartment installations
The boiler compartment shall be a fixed rigid structure, the internal surfaces of which conform to the boiler installation instructions.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 5.3.2.1
If the boiler manufacturer’s installation instructions do not give specific advice, then any internal surface of the boiler compartment which is of combustible material should either be at least 75 mm from any part of the boiler or should be lined with non-combustible material. Methods of determining whether a material can be described as combustible or non-combustible are given in BS 476-22. For further advice, see HSE publication, Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances [14].
5.3.2.2 The compartment shall permit access for inspection and servicing of the boiler and any ancillary equipment. A notice shall be fixed in a prominent position within the compartment to warn against its use as a storage cupboard. The compartment shall be fitted with a door that will permit withdrawal of the boiler and any ancillary equipment.

Your boiler is RS, you are good to go.

Last edited:
I would have thought it was a room you where in, not a compartment. Plus I think it's harsh to AR. it'd have thought NCS would be ok if they wanted to class this space as a compartment, due to the size.

Hows it going at the AA anyway mate?

AA is ok Tom......would much rather be working for myself though....bleedin phone aint stopped ringing since ive been there

In case of an Open-flued appliance (moogwai, your boiler is RS):

From current BS 5440-2:2009
Flueing and ventilation for gas appliances of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net
(1st, 2nd and 3rd family gases) –
Part 2: Specification for the installation and maintenance of ventilation provision for gas appliances

6.3.2 Open-flued appliance installed in an appliance compartment

COMMENTARY ON 6.3.2.1
The purpose of the air vents in an appliance compartment is to provide air for combustion, correct operation of the flue and appliance compartment cooling. It should be noted that small appliance compartments are susceptible to vitiation caused by down-draught and so great care should be taken to ensure that the ventilation provision conforms to 6.3.2 or the manufacturer’s instructions.

Small rooms, such as individual WCs, cloakrooms, understair spaces, are not normally considered appliance compartments. However, like small appliance compartments, they are susceptible to vitiation caused by down-draught. For this reason, and in cases where the heat loss from the appliance could lead to high ambient temperatures, appliance compartment ventilation should be considered.

Your boss could have a case here.

In case of an Open-flued appliance (moogwai, your boiler is RS):

From current BS 5440-2:2009
Flueing and ventilation for gas appliances of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net
(1st, 2nd and 3rd family gases) –
Part 2: Specification for the installation and maintenance of ventilation provision for gas appliances

6.3.2 Open-flued appliance installed in an appliance compartment

COMMENTARY ON 6.3.2.1
The purpose of the air vents in an appliance compartment is to provide air for combustion, correct operation of the flue and appliance compartment cooling. It should be noted that small appliance compartments are susceptible to vitiation caused by down-draught and so great care should be taken to ensure that the ventilation provision conforms to 6.3.2 or the manufacturer’s instructions.

Small rooms, such as individual WCs, cloakrooms, understair spaces, are not normally considered appliance compartments. However, like small appliance compartments, they are susceptible to vitiation caused by down-draught. For this reason, and in cases where the heat loss from the appliance could lead to high ambient temperatures, appliance compartment ventilation should be considered.

Your boss could have a case here.

awww....crap.

Looks like it can be much less than 5m[SUP]3[/SUP]. Cos, accordingly to the BS, you only need 75mm clearance around the boiler.

to combustibles :)

It says:

Clearance around the sides, front, above and below the appliance shall be provided in accordance with the appliance manufacturer’s instructions, or, in the absence of any such instructions, these clearances shall be a minimum of 75 mm to the sides, above, below and in front of the appliance.

It should say to combustible material as in BS 6789.

Back to BS 6798:2009

5.3.2 Boiler compartment installations

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 5.3.2.1
If the boiler manufacturer’s installation instructions do not give specific advice, then any internal surface of the boiler compartment which is of combustible material should either be at least 75 mm from any part of the boiler or should be lined with non-combustible material. Methods of determining whether a material can be described as combustible or non-combustible are given in BS 476-22. For further advice, see HSE publication, Safety in the installation and use of gas systems andappliances [14].

Got pulled up by a manager the other day as on a job i diagnosed a glowworm ultimate 50bf with a faulty gas valve.
Now the room the boiler was installed in had a wc and a basin in and it never crossed my mind that this room was a compartment and my manager is calling me in as he says i shouldve ar'd the boiler as the room had no additional ventilation.
The room is also outside in a covered walk way at the side of a house
Just wanted to know what you guys think.

Did you read your CORGI book, page 78? It tells you what a compartment is. There's nothing about m3 though.

Was reading the BS again. Here's more:

From current BS 6798:2009
Specification for installation and maintenance of gas-fired boilers of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net

4.4 Location
COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 4.4
Room-sealed boilers may be installed in any room or space. It is not recommended that any type of boiler be installed in an understairs cupboard, bathroom or shower room, bedroom or bed-sitting room, or within a toilet or cloakroom, but such installations are acceptable subject to the requirements of 5.3.4 to 5.3.7.

5.3.4 Understairs cupboard installations
5.3.7 Toilet and cloakroom installations
The air vents from any boiler installed within a toilet or cloakroom shall be direct to outside air.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 5.3.7
Installation within a toilet or cloakroom should only be considered if there is no alternative location.

Last edited:
Mi for your boiler:
Where the boiler is fitted in a cupboard or compartment,
permanent high and low level ventilation must be provided.

If there are no signs of distress - it's never AR, your boss would be wrong! See the TB001.

Firstly, your boss is a numpty! Why would this be "AR"?

Secondly, I was taught to use a common sense approach in classifying as a compartment and the general rules are it is a compartment if it is not a normal habitable room(eg.broom cupboard) and is less than 5mÂł volume.

i came across 38kw cf floorstanding boiler in a garage,should it have sized ventilation,as this did not ,been there for years no issues

i came across 38kw cf floorstanding boiler in a garage,should it have sized ventilation,as this did not ,been there for years no issues

It still needs purpose provided ventilation even though there is probably enough adventitious ventilation.

Open flue boilers can't be fitted in a garage up here, the reason being flammable liquids (eg petrol) may be stored in a garage and an OF boiler could ignite it (which seems sensible enough to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When does a room become a compartment? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock