Discuss What's a hot press? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grandad was in the Merchant Navy and they used to have numerous nautical sayings I remember:

Shipshape - everything fastened down tidily or put away ready for putting out to sea
knock seven bells out of - beat (seven strikes of the bell were rung on ship prior to a flogging as punishment)
room to swing a cat - (cat o' nine tails was the whip used for flogging)

Bit like here in Yorkshire

Trap / bog - WC
bait - lunch
use of "while" meaning "until", in for example "we'll not be back while six"
owt - anything
nowt - nothing

Last edited:
Have just looked up the word " Press " in Scottish/Ulster Scots & it means " a large wall cupboard ". Hence Hotpress is a hot cupboard.
This thread has got me interested in the Scottish words & phrases i use & hear everyday. Very funny to read.

A "linen press" is a term given to a tall cupboard used for storing bedding etc.

A "linen press" is a term given to a tall cupboard used for storing bedding etc.

I had forgot that one, - we use that term in N.I. also, more from old people though & sounds a bit posh!
The " Owt " & " Nowt " meaning anything & nothing words, we do use, especially the Nowt word, but " While " meaning "Until" is strange! :smile:

A press is a cupboard (as in a big one) so the hot press is the hot cupboard (where the cylinder is).
It is a dying term in Scotland. My mother and people of her generation used it all the time but i never do although i know what it means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What's a hot press? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock