Discuss What trade repairs Artex and ceilings? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

.....not really a plumbing question, but I've had a chunk of my living room ceiling come down due to damage to an upstairs rad pipe by one of the kids.

I'm claiming on house insurance but they're asking for 2 quotes from firms first. Normally it would be a joiner to fit new plasterboard to ceiling, then a plasterer to plaster over this and fix the damaged artex, but would one trade i.e the plasterer be able to do all this to simplify the insurance quote?

Health and safety guys say Artex is no more as it contains asbestos? So what would match the existing ceiling?

Posted this here as at some time or other we've all been faced with a ceiling coming down and the advice given will help others faced with this in the future!

If I remember correctly, decorators used to take a course on how to artex and did it as well as plasterers ,so if I was to get someone in to quote ,think I would go for a older decorator, if I only wanted one person to do repair works, it is hard to repair artex without seeing repair, well impossible really, if you seal boards well you can use plaster or a filler, then you have to find the correct comb to use, again improvisation comes to mind

Well I say that,s what I would do but in fact I would do want l have just done in my sons house and get a plasterer in to plaster all over the stuff and return to nice smooth ceilings

good luck

imho

As you say, old ARTEX contains ASBESTOS so be careful working with it and do not make dust!

There are similar products available today - ask your plasterer

The cost of a spreader for the day will prob be the same as your excess.

Once you claim on home insurance next years premium will increase, same as car insurance.

system,

What i would try and do is find 2 self employed plasters that can do the work and ask them for written quotes, but i would suggest that they quote for reskim of the entire ceiling unless you want to keep the artex? ask them to word the quote to say repair damaged ceiling and make good but make sure they understand they are going to do the whole thing.

artex/textured coating did contain asbestos in the uk up untill 1984-85 (up to 3-4% in some products), after this date all artex made and sold in the uk was supposed to not contain it. Tho i do believe that is has been suggested that some imported products did get sold after these dates. This means any work on any exsisting textured coating needs to be tested before any drilling and bashing is done. This is standard practice on most jobs, but alot of private work still gets done without any thought to the problem.

System, I just read your message at bottom of your post "council work" .

That explains it all, crikey you probably need at least 4/5 trades plus a clerk of works plus a dedicated rubbish van to visit.

I can see why you need to claim on the insurance :D.

Best of luck.

System, I just read your message at bottom of your post "council work" .

That explains it all, crikey you probably need at least 4/5 trades plus a clerk of works plus a dedicated rubbish van to visit.

I can see why you need to claim on the insurance :D.

Best of luck.

Got a temporary bathroom and maintenance contract. Our local council is one of the better ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What trade repairs Artex and ceilings? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back