Discuss weird one in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
we fitted a biasi combi a few weeks ago, now its leaking!

but not from any of the pipe work its all bone dry, the boiler isn't dropping in pressure.

the leak doesn't happen through the day, but when the customer turns the stat down at night and goes to bed when she awakes she has a nice bowl full of water under the boiler to wake up to, any ideas?

Has to be on the mains water side if the pressure isn't dropping yeh?

when she awakes she has a nice bowl full of water under the boiler to wake up to, any ideas?

Tell her to move the cats litter tray from under the boiler :)

could it be condensation? tell her to turn off cold stop tap before she goes to bed to see if on the cold/hot side.

Could it be with the stat being so low the boiler is condensing more and leaking from that

yeah well i went before to have a look, yeah all i could think of is condensation or something to do with the mains, so suggested she turned the mains off before bed and see how she gets on, theres so much water though i just cant see it being condensation, its literally a full mop bucket of water, we will see anyway

Thanks lads

Went back this morning and the heat exchanger is leaking, when the boilers off and cold it leaks and when it's warmed up due to the heating being on it seals itself! Any idea how a heat exchanger could get damaged? Jack

Its a new install mate, probably poor weld on the plate hex ... these things happen eh? I've known of many a leak only occur when the system has cooled ...

Glad to know you got it sorted though, manufacturers visit I take it :)

Is there a water meter fitted? { all water meters have a built in non return valve}

A lot manufacturers insist/suggest on a small expansion vessel on the water main near the boiler, this takes up the expansion in the hot water side when the tap is turned off.

The above should stop heat exchangers splitting :drummer:

Is there a water meter fitted? { all water meters have a built in non return valve}

A lot manufacturers insist/suggest on a small expansion vessel on the water main near the boiler, this takes up the expansion in the hot water side when the tap is turned off.

The above should stop heat exchangers splitting :drummer:

You know what Kev the first lot of combi's i remember fitting all had the mini expansion vessel fitted as standard. Manufacturers, trying to cut costs, have chosen to lump this fact onto the installer who, lets face it aren't necessarily taught to look out for the means of expansion provision!

lol i have only been plumbing for 5 years but never even heard of a combi with additional expansion vessel, and don't remember reading anything in the manufactures instructions? but anyway its under warranty so we will have to wait and see! cheers jack

Hey jack ... they call them 'shock arrestors' these days, but were fitted as standard to take up the expansion, however small, generated in the water to water heat exchangers :)

Showing my age there Diamond !!

I was responsible for fitting loads of Saunier Duval combis in the past!!, 1986 onwards.( under the instruction of my employer tho BGAS]

I was guilty of this 2 years ago when installing a W Bosch Junior, heat exchanger split after 6 months, new fitted and expansion vessel no problem since.

It is now a standard part of any combi install I do.

That may be why I am the same price as B Gas as i was told today, however I was quoting to run 12mtrs of 35 mm and 15mtrs of 28mm copper for a 42 cdi combi. They suggested a 42 cdi can run on 27 mtr of 22mm as well as a double oven range gas cooker. :61:

Showing my age there Diamond !!

I was responsible for fitting loads of Saunier Duval combis in the past!!, 1986 onwards.( under the instruction of my employer tho BGAS]

I was guilty of this 2 years ago when installing a W Bosch Junior, heat exchanger split after 6 months, new fitted and expansion vessel no problem since.

It is now a standard part of any combi install I do.

That may be why I am the same price as B Gas as i was told today, however I was quoting to run 12mtrs of 35 mm and 15mtrs of 28mm copper for a 42 cdi combi. They suggested a 42 cdi can run on 27 mtr of 22mm as well as a double oven range gas cooker. :61:

Me too regards the saunia's and I remember the myson Midas too!

I've since got out of install to a large extent but recognise the benefits of the precautions the older boilers had. I still keep in contact with and recommend an old pal with the same ethics as you regards installing and I admire the professionalism and pride he has, and you portray, all be it sometime looked on as OTT lol :)

I am sure its in the worcester MI'S about fitting the shock arrestor , tbh i dont always fit them as can cost you about getting the job think they are about 30 plus quid.

Come and have a look at my antique Glowworm swift flow in my house that has the exp vessel on the cold mains.

I know the Isar could do with them I must have changed about a dozen sets of plate seals in the last 2 months.
Council contract and they have fitted non return valves just under the boiler on the cold mains and as the taps are used, the plate "bounces" and the seals blow.

That was a bad bit of planning somewhere down the line.

when combis first appeared in this country they were mostly continetal makes ,to comply with our water regs at the time they had to fit those small expasion vessels even then they allways told us at the training courses if you get one leaking just plug it of and throw it away
i was told it was because we used stop cocks which dont allow expansion into the main unlike the levers which were common abroad
i think it was a bit of protectionism realy as we had water heaters main and ascot which didnt have to have them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to weird one in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock