Discuss UK Plumber looking to emigrate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

i'm a level 3 UK Plumber and i have been looking recently about moving to America to work over there.
Anyone with any previous experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

its tough!
a friend of mine who is wealthy and owns 50% of a cattle ranch in idaho spent 6 years trying to get in to retire with his daughter who lives there and about £15k!!
we used to have property there and through investigating with english coupler working there, what my chances were being a gas engineer and also a qualified computer programmer, i was told those type of 'skilled' jobs only go to u.s citizens. the only chance of entry unless you have been 'bought in' to cover a roll, are jobs like pool cleaners and gardeners etc.
in the case of the couple i spoke to, he was u.s fireman and the english wife the gardener.
so, to sum up. marry a yank, get a placement before you go (they have to proove no one in u.s is suitable) or apply for a green card 1-2 years and work from the bottom up!
canada is easier route thoough!

My Son and family have just moved to the U.S.A for 2years working for his current employer who have offices Worldwide.

They had to prove that the job could not be done by a US Citizen.
They could easily do this as they've been trying to recruit for a similar job in the U.S for 2 years.
He's in Management and the process is slightly simpler.
They're also trying to get a work permit for someone on a lower grade and this is proving difficult even for a 2 year secondment.

My Daughter inlaws Visa is wholly dependent on my Son working.
She cannot work in the U.S

For a skilled tradesperson I'd say there is Zero chance of getting permanent residence and employment.

The problem is that your plumbing qualifications are not worth anything in the US. The will not recognise them at all. I put in all of my City & Guilds stuff into a qualification conversion thing for the US and they came out as being worth a High School Diploma and nothing more. I was told that I'd need a job and have to start over from scratch with the US plumbing qualifications.

It is extremely difficult for a tradesman to get in to America.

Has anyone tried Canada as my Mrs is seriously considering a role there???

canada is pretty easy for britts, i have a few mates there in construction/joinery.
i also have family there and i can get sponsored, i think they welcome any skills for those who work hard. could be also a back door into the u.s on contracting around chicago area if your based in toronto!

i tried the N.Z embassy a couple of years ago and as a gas engineer i got a green light and job allocations for hospital maintenance plumber! also have a mate there painter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to UK Plumber looking to emigrate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back