Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet flushing poorly in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I replaced a cheapy syphon with a fluidmaster adjustable one and since then it is not flushing quite so well. The sypon is correctly adjusted (I think) and empties the whole tank on a full flush. The problem seems to be it does not release the water quite as fast. The old syphon most of the water circulated the rim and flushed through the front of the basin creating a sort of cascade that landed in the neck of the bowl. With the new one more of the water is released around the rim so not creating a vortex.

To be honest i think the design of the sanitary ware (Shires) is finicky, the difference in flow seems to have tipped it over the edge so it doesn't flush properly.

I cleaned the jets and there was a bit of black mold, I could probably do a better job there with pipe cleaners. They didnt seem to bad really. I also gave it a bit of a going over with a plunger.

Final bit of info, the old system had a sort of float think in the siphons outlet tube. I think it probably sat on the sanitary ware making a seal and rose up the tube on flush. Asked around and no one had ever seen anything like it. Its a mystery what it was or whether it was part of the siphon or something separate. Foolishly threw it away with the old siphon. Kinda interested what that was as currently a mystery.

I'm at my wits end here, I know its a long shot but I wondered if anyone can give any advice?

Many Thanks

Sounds like you had what's called a siphonic flush system installed. The pan is designed for such a syphon and won't work properly with a standard syphon like you have fitted now unfortunately. The thing that you threw away is called the "siphonic bomb" believe it or not. Your option are to try to find another siphonic syphon and bomb or change the pan sadly.

I replaced a cheapy syphon with a fluidmaster adjustable one and since then it is not flushing quite so well. The sypon is correctly adjusted (I think) and empties the whole tank on a full flush. The problem seems to be it does not release the water quite as fast. The old syphon most of the water circulated the rim and flushed through the front of the basin creating a sort of cascade that landed in the neck of the bowl. With the new one more of the water is released around the rim so not creating a vortex.

To be honest i think the design of the sanitary ware (Shires) is finicky, the difference in flow seems to have tipped it over the edge so it doesn't flush properly.

I cleaned the jets and there was a bit of black mold, I could probably do a better job there with pipe cleaners. They didnt seem to bad really. I also gave it a bit of a going over with a plunger.

Final bit of info, the old system had a sort of float think in the siphons outlet tube. I think it probably sat on the sanitary ware making a seal and rose up the tube on flush. Asked around and no one had ever seen anything like it. Its a mystery what it was or whether it was part of the siphon or something separate. Foolishly threw it away with the old siphon. Kinda interested what that was as currently a mystery.

I'm at my wits end here, I know its a long shot but I wondered if anyone can give any advice?

Many Thanks
tell you what, take the cistern lid off and send us a piccy , all may be not lost
centralheatking done loads of cisterns of all types on a commercial basis

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies! I did try all sorts of searches but most returned float valves or nothing. In any case I would never have guessed 'siphonic bomb'. I’m away for a couple of days but will try to post a picture or two on my return.

The old siphon seemed pretty standard apart from the bomb so I might try and locate something. I guess our Xmas guests will be using the bucket!

Here is the fix View: https://youtu.be/lBD3GOZvIHE

Where to buy the bomb
My merchants Aquatec sell them for £24 + vat.They wont fit in an adjustable Thomas Dudley turbo.

Reply to Toilet flushing poorly in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock