Currently reading:
Tips for keeping my van organised!!!

Discuss Tips for keeping my van organised!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leakeee

For years and years the back of the van has always been a mess - every 6 months or so
i decide to sort it out and always says thats how its gonna stay forever!

But guess what it never does! After everyday at the office i seem to chuck all tools, drill, jenny, fitting etc etc
in the back and the mess builds up!!!

Im sure im not the only guy like it!

How do guys manage to keep vans so organised??

For years and years the back of the van has always been a mess - every 6 months or so

But guess what it never does! After everyday at the office i seem to chuck all tools, drill, jenny, fitting etc etc

I've given up and tidy it out once a month. I can however find stuff in the mess. :) It's just once you finish a job you want toget to the next one or home and everything gets tossed in. Amazing what you find when you do tidy it out!!!

im the same, im getting better though i sort it out once a month now :smiley2:

Well I'm sure Jenny from the office is not best pleased at being thrown in there.

My van gets tidied about once a fortnight. Its a mess right now though.

I like to think of an untidy van is like an untidy floor in a spanish restaurant .
A busy one

I like to keep my van very tidy, just think of all that wasted time trying to find something. It also gives a good impression to my customers and other tradesman that i might be working with.

Try to get boxes from diy places that you can throw things into, the contents of the box might be a mess but your van just has boxes stacked in it. Also if you put similar things all together in the same box you will be able to find things easier

To begin with it will be a chore to take that extra time at the end of a job or before going home to tidy the van, but after a while it will become habit and you will thank yourself for it

i'm the same just throw stuff in the back when finished for the day. usually tidy every couple of weeks.

Iam exactly the same, I can never find anything under the mountain of crap, lose tools frequently in the back, its embarassing when I open up my van door and a pile of crap fcalls out or I spend 20mins trying to find some brown plugs etc,your post has motivated me, Iam going to get my van racked out before the end of July.

never been able to keep the van tidy, racks in, tip, boxes in, tip so give up now, just clean it out when very sick of trying to find things ie. once every two years

Iam exactly the same, I can never find anything under the mountain of crap, lose tools frequently in the back, its embarassing when I open up my van door and a pile of crap fcalls out or I spend 20mins trying to find some brown plugs etc,your post has motivated me, Iam going to get my van racked out before the end of July.

We should have before and after pics. :)

Get proper racking and boxes for everything else.
Van gets tidied at least once a week, minimum I can't stand it messy and not knowing exactly what's on board as there might not be a merchants for 40 minutes drive!

We should have before and after pics. :)

No difference with my van - always tidy [COUGH, SPLUTTER]

Trick is to have a) a big enough van and b) a home for everything.

Only time mine gets untidy is when I'm in a hurry to get home/leave customer or if it's raining. Mind you, only recently have I lost a fire valve and my dustpan and brush!

look round your house if thats spotless and the book shelves are arranged in descending order alphabetically and color coded its time to explain to the wife about her duties in the van

its funny cus when i had a company van it was always a mess, now ive got my own van its normally very tidy.

the van me and the lad I work with is an old bgas van complete with racking, still even though everything has a home things do build up, normally around once a week I'll leave the other lad crackin on e.g (day 2 of a conversion) when there isn't a great deal left to do and just pop everything back in it's home as best I can, I try to keep the front a tools area and the back for rubbish, sand, steps etc, it works fairly well, but the racking is a god send, shame the van is such a piece of scrap

Funny replies! First thing that happened this morning -- Opened the van and the whole copper fitting tank feel out!

Great start to the day!!

God i need to stop this carnage!!!

Like others have said. Spend some money getting some plywood racking made up to fit your van (design it yourself if you want and just give a chippy the plans). Invest in some decent stock bins for stock items like copper fittings etc. It cost me £800 to do this all in but running a stock system doesn't take much time and it makes you much organised (and therefore quicker) on every job. This in turn means you can earn more each year :)

That's my approach to business anyway!

Like others have said. Spend some money getting some plywood racking made up to fit your van (design it yourself if you want and just give a chippy the plans)....

I built mine by myself - much cheaper!!

:rockon2:

up till 2 wks ago i used to store fittings etc in stacking boxes but sods law you end up spilling the contents when pulling the bottom box out- well 3 wks ago i just did that pulled out a box and it went everywhere and to top it my 13 in 1 ladder moved and trapped my finger so since then i totaly emptied the van and made some ply racking and fitted lin bins in it. when i can i will upload photos- ply cost about £60 nd took about 7hrs to do.i even invested in a van vault pipe holder as the other half complained there was no leg room in the front of the van as it being a combo van my pipe was put in van from passanger footwell to back door.seen some ply universal racks on net for abot£69 1m x1m

ant

Problem with trying to keep the van tidy, is when your so busy rushing from job to job it is imposible for most of us.

However come the weekend and it gets it's weekly clean and reorganise, makes you feel great on a monday morning finding what you want first time.........downhill after that for the rest of the week though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tips for keeping my van organised!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back