Currently reading:
Starting out advice needed please!

Discuss Starting out advice needed please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jimbob82

Hi All, just found the site today- great resource!

I've nearly completed the City + Guilds 6129 plumbing course and am looking to find a job ASAP. I've been working as a foreman (and carpenter) for a small scale construction company for 7 years.
Can anyone advise me on my next move please? Have a 4 month old baby and partner is a full time mum- hard times
I'm guessing next step would be to find experienced plumber and complete NVQ 2 on site.
Cheers!

not thought of going to a college. you could convert your 6129 into a nvq and full apprenticeship framework certificate

I spoke to college yesterday and apparently things have changed and its not possible to take the NVQ alone now- only as part of joint course with the c+g!! this has only been decided in recent weeks- I'm a bit worried what this means for me as I've just paid out and am nearly finished my c+g 6129

Hi Jimbob. Keep your job as formen and blackmail plumbing contractors working for the company to give you say two days a week plumbing. After having put the plan to your employers. Their benefit being cheap plumbing for a year or two whilst your finding your feet. Good Luck

jimbob,
you must be mad!.

the college you mention only cover experienced plumbers employed within the industry to take the nvq.
first, you have to find a paid job as an intermediate plumber for a firm. with a 6129=very slim chance of that at the moment.

secondly, i note the prices for this are 4 times more than a f.e college fee of around £800 for the first year and i am sure you will get it funded.

either way, start and end results will be more the same but money and prospects will play a major part,imo.

Thanks guys, all info and advice much appreciated.

I'm thinking of writing an e-mail and sending off to ask all plumbers in area asking for work- any work! Can anyone give me advice on how to word the e-mail for best response please? Also somebody mentioned getting insured as it would make me more appealing- any info on this would be great too.
Cheers, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting out advice needed please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

O
Replies
Views
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock