Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Space for valves pumps etc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ChrisYates

My first query...

Are there any rules of thumb (or mandatory legislation) re working space surrounding devices such as low loss headers, tanks and boilers, space for valves, pumps, insulation, etc.

A bit of background:

I have a fairly "W Heath Robinson" arrangement utilising multiple heat sources, low loss header, DHW tank and a seperate thermal store. The schematic is here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7689104/Plumbing forums/Schematic 001.pdf

Please feel free to snag the schematic.

What I'd like to ask is how much space is generally required to coordinate valves and pumps (including insulation) around something as fiddly as this?

Cheers

Chris

Manufacturers such as Drayton etc. usually specify minimum clearances around zone valves however, this is usually to allow ease of fitting and replacement.

As above, manufacturers of various heating components usually specify working clearances to facilitate service and replacement. A bit of forethought and intelligence when it comes to installation can also be a great help (what's the best position / orientation for this motorised valve which would allow me to change it or it's actuator head?... etc).

However, given some of the airing cupboard 'pipe nests' that you regularly come across, it doesn't always (or often) happen...
Eg, I had to cut a big chunk of pipe out to get to a heating pump a couple of weeks ago.

As they are minimum clearances specified, you may need to factor in extra space if you are going to put insulation material around them. Best to contact the respective manufacturers.

Laws of common sense work these situations out normally, just think you are going to be looking after the system for the foreseable future and "what will make my life easier at 8pm christmas eve when I get a call out" then you cant go far wrong.

As said above there are minimum clearances given by the manufacturers but these are to protect the items rather than to make servicing easier.

Chris, why did you have a buffer/ low loss header + thermal store + hot water cylinder when you could have just had one thermal store doing the same job?

I am not certain if a pressurized solid fuel stove is allowed in the uk, I know it has a quench coil but does it meet the regs? I know the biomass boilers are allowed this method of emergency cooling though

The pressurised system is ok according to Broseley stoves: Innovation In stove design | Broseley Fires

But yes, I think open vented is probably a better option.

The reason that I haven't gone for something like a tank in tank thermal store is that the weather compensated heating circuits are going to be sized to work at low temperature - a significantly lower temperature than the domestic hot water.

I didn't put the tank sizes on the schematic. They're 100, 300 & 700 for header, dhw and store respectively.

Have heard Broseley are doing one, regarding the heating zones, weather compensated and with a mixer valve + controller it could be 80c+ in the store but the mixed side 35c or what ever you set in the parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Space for valves pumps etc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock