Discuss so what heating systems have you got in your own houses? just for a giggle. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
ill kick off, hmm well ive only just bought my first house which has an old vokera combi in it. as soon as we move in the first thing to go will be that boiler. lol then the rusting rads and the 8mm pipe will gradually get replaced when the savings account starts to recover.:cool:

Oil fired Trianco. Seriously reliable boiler...about 13 years old. Gets serviced once in every 3 years...had the odd problem here and there. Like the oil filter from the tank froze solid in the harsh winter just gone. The boiler has never put a foot wrong (should I really have just said that!?)

Old baxi combi with a non working diverter valve lol ,
6 rads on the system need updating as they are looking old now but drained down last year and water was clean so topped up with some inhib .

i have vokera excel 80sp, couple of faults no room stat, still works though probably 13 years old at least

When I last moved house, there was a potterton Flamingo on a fully pumped system with tap stat on the hot water vessel and zone valve with roomstat on the heating. Buget was limited and I did not want to give myself to much work to improve the system. I changed the boiler for a Vaillant 618 ecomax and put it in the roof with verticle flue, changed the hot water vessel for a quick heat recovery type, seperated the upstairs and ground floor heating circuits (new rads down stairs), fitted 3 zone valves for each circuit with thermostats linked through a timeclock and interlocked with the boiler, thermostatic rad valves on all rads. Result was reliable system and 25% saving tested over the last 7 years on fuel consumption. Would have liked to have fitted an unvented hot water system, but could not justify the additional cost. Didn't want a combi because the the old problem with getting cold shocks when someone draws off water when your in the shower. Also fitted a shower pump, which has been fantastic.

vaillant 618 ecotech planning on putting in a unvented when i have some money saved up

a w/b 24i, full install free of charge less 20 cups of tea. lol .

Bought this house 3 years ago and it had a baxi wm in the bedroom. Moved in on the Friday and boiler woke me up at 6.30 with it's kettling and clanking.
By the end of the day i had an Ariston something????? system blr hooked on to a 210 unvented twin coil. Done as a straight swap onto an old FEP system to start with but over the next month or 2 i replaced the lot. Rads are around 75% oversized which suits her!
Split into 3 heating zones + HW and added weather comp but removed it after about 3 months as it is not as smart as it thinks it is. Now working from wireless prog stats. Trv's on all rads.
Zone 1 lounge, hall, dining, kitchen, downstairs bed and downstairs bathroom.
Zone 2 utility, airing cupboard, office.
Zone 3 upstairs beds and shower room.
Bathroom and shower room also have electric underfloor.
It's not split up ideal but suits the way the house is laid out and i couldn't be bothered to do different runs.
Blagged a couple of ev tube solar panels and a pump station but they are still sitting in the garage. I'll fit them in the summer.
Also have an open fireplace in the lounge which is used a lot so i fitted an old circulator i had lying around to it and piped to the loft but haven't quite decided on the best way to connect it.
Doing your own place should not cost you an arm and a leg. You can play around with things using reclaimed stuff as you feel inclined to.

Edit
Swapped the std flue for a vertical a couple of month later as the POC's were blowing straight in the utility door and window (from about 3.5m away) due to the prevailing wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ferolli DomiCompact 28 - I am ashamed to call myself a gasman:(

It comes complete with passing PRV and hot water that runs hot and cold for the first few minutes

Ill beat that Villa_tom Ive got (whispers) a Biasi Riva Compact 32kW, vastly oversized but need it for the water flow, the missus likes bathing in temperatures like lava! Surprisingly enough its not given me any problems in over 8 years. Ive added a Honeywell CM927 and various new rads. Next year Im going to change it and put in an unvented cylinder, I'm toying with replacing the boiler with a ASHP but move the whole lot up the attic.

duo tec 24 , turn it off when i go out though and make the mrs put a coat on

Originally the early Ideal Isar, but when the expansion vessel req'd recharging & the instructions said remove the boiler from the wall , it STAYED off the wall,.Now have a Remeha Avanti 39C , wish I'd done it sooner....

Ideal Isar, fitted by previous owner via warmfront scheme. Never missed a beat.
Thats properbly jinxed it!!

It comes complete with passing PRV and hot water that runs hot and cold for the first few minutes
dont tel me!
it has had... a new exp vessel, prv, new pump, diverter, heat exchanger, gas valve, pcb....
and its still running good.lol.

dont tel me!
it has had... a new exp vessel, prv, new pump, diverter, heat exchanger, gas valve, pcb....
and its still running good.lol.

Been in four years and have never touched it. mainly as its all boxed in and a nightmare to get to.

I have a 7 year old ferroli f30.....how rude! Only ever had to change a fan venturi and a dhw thermister. Heats the house and water like a charm! Won't change it till it dies.....looks like I'm workin on Sunday!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

potterton performa 24 he eco fitted 5 years ago by me along with 11 new rads and flush out the old pipe work,dont touch the boiler well over due a service,house is baking hot waters great but we have a shower off it in 5 years boiler has had no problems apart from aps failure i am on my third thermostatic shower its used 4 times a day but being a bar mixer when they die undo 2 nuts bung a cheapie in might treat my self to a grohe next time lol,my dad also a gsr engineer has a 13 year old baxi 80 eco in his house 2 years ago i re built it working well but it would having mainly new innards but obviously he did not pay labour on it lol

Baxi Megaflow 32 with weather comp. Unvented solar cylinder. 30 kingspan Heat pipe evacuated tubes
Upstairs zone prog room stat. Downstairs zone prog room stat . Towel rail zone and Hot water on Danfos TP9000 prog stat and HW timer

its not just me then lol. it seems every tradesman i know has something in his own home that he/she is trained to fix but never does. i know a plasterer whose living room has been waiting for a re skim for about 18 months, i know a tiler whose bathroom has a cracked tile by the bog, sparky..... no hes clean, builder whose been doing up a house to rent out,,,, its still not finished 3 years later. i had a dripping toilet float valve for about 6 weeks, just put a bowl under it until it got to the point where it was more of a steady dribble.

my boiler is AR and my fire is ID lol dont use the fire though and have a CO detector for the boiler cant be bothered fixing it since its getting replaced for the winter anyway

i have an electric fire, dont trust gas! lol
have combi worcester 28i in loft

i have an electric fire, dont trust gas! lol
have combi worcester 28i in loft

nothing wrong with gas fires,thats why i id 6 out of every ten i see had one on a flavel lfe yesterday,glass fitted in wrong place soot every where burner knackerd,its going in the skip to be replaced by electric

ive got an open flued vaillant system boiler running a gledhill boiler mate which is a heat store type cylinder i keep thinking of changing it but the thought of getting a condense pipe out of the loft holds me back
i think the boiler is 24 years old its had one pump and a secondhand heat exchanger in all that time ive also got another unused same model boiler sitting next to it that i bought for peanuts of ebay for spares and ive never needed it

I've got an eight year old 105e. Never had any trouble with it until my beloved wanted it moving 6" up so that she could hide it in a kitchen cupboard, then after a few weeks the hx o-rings decided to leak and take out the pcb as well.
The boiler was only off the wall for a couple of hours, as I'm aware that when existing boilers are drained and moved things like washers and o-rings contract when they dry out but don't always expand back to how they were originally (i.e watertight).

If I'm asked to move an existing boiler I get the customer to sign a disclaimer which mentions the above points.

I just don't move boilers, Ive done it twice and twice Ive had the "well it worked before you touched it" routine.

That's why I get 'em to sign a disclaimer before I move the boiler or tell them that it might be cheaper in the long run to get a new one.

Anyway Tamz I hit her in the purse that week as her Lady wages took the hit for the new board Lol

I just don't move boilers, Ive done it twice and twice Ive had the "well it worked before you touched it" routine.

im the same, moved a few and been back to all bar one. from day one i always warn customers that boilers dont like to be moved and i wont guarantee they will not leak once they go back on the wall. the worst one i ever had was a ravenheat 85c something or other combi. told the customers it would be wiser and more cost effective to buy a new boiler, they ignored my advice and so i moved the boiler, i went back to it 4 times, replaced dhw thermistor, then a month later the valves under the boiler began to weep, then the heat exchanger seals began to leak, then the pcb failed 2 months after that. at the end they said they wished they had just listened to my advice.

105 e instant. It is about nine years old. Was in when we moved in.

It has had 2 boards, 2 diverters and a plate hex. Being replaced with a system boiler and unvented in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to so what heating systems have you got in your own houses? just for a giggle. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock