Currently reading:
snatching valves

Discuss snatching valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
dont have much experience in snatching valves when the need comes to replace on open vented systems, when i try i get water over the wall or in my face everytime! not had sludge yet thank god! how do you go about it? any tricks? . been thinking about putting a dust sheet on the floor as normal but then one over me and the valve . but afraid that i would look a total idiot. or do you have a wet vac handy?? any ideas , tips??

Go up into the loft and bung the feed and cap the vent of the F and E tank, then crack the valve to see if it holds.

tanks guys! remeber my old employer changing them without bunging them. but i also remember him DESTROYING bed linnen with black sludge whilts doing one!!

tanks guys! remeber my old employer changing them without bunging them. but i also remember him DESTROYING bed linnen with black sludge whilts doing one!!

Ha there is always one that will catch you :lol:

If you fancy sticking your head under a dustsheet with a mask and flippers on while doing it then do that.
You will learn over time but there are sometimes you just wouldn't do it unless you have no other option.

You probably don't want to snatch a valve live anywhere if you can spend a few minutes bunging the f&v. But if you do it live, I would advise you have someone with you to reach you anything. Even a young person to help. You don't want to be holding the end of a live pipe & discover there is no olive in the new valve for example!
If it is a fully decorated property, especially with clean carpets, then bung always, but if you want to be a show off, then put plenty covers down, a towely rag tied around bottom of pipe & a sheet right over you & down against the wall.

Working in small shopping center builder couldn't turn off cold, only had 2hr window 6 - 8 and freezing machine was " on its way at 6.45 " up ladder cuts 28mm and bangs on ISo 3/4 shut.... Slightly more than a cup full. . Do it a lot on. 15 when no stop tap, turn all taps on and slice cold bash in 3/4 open ISo normally a towel is enough to mop up . Always bung f &e

I nearly lost my job @ Bgas years ago (approx 1990) because of snatching a rad valve.

Newly qualified, used to get all the crap jobs. I turned up at a job to replace 2 rad valves in a bedroom, the room was full of stinking cat poo and litter trays all over the place.

I snatched the valve that was leaking but left the other as the stench was that bad.

On leaving the property I mentioned to the customer that the room stunk of poo and needed a good clean.

A week later I was up in front of the manager along with the union rep as I hadn't changed the job sheet and claimed the extra 15 mins for the extra valve I hadn't replaced.

My supervisor had visited the property a few days later only to find a nice fresh bedroom with no smell of cat poo, and they thought it was a sacking matter :53:

Remember changing a 2" gate valve on a sea box live whilst I was at sea (can't isolate the Atlantic) spilled more than a cupful for sure but got new valve on.

Been on a few jobs where transco have snatched ecv. Sacking offence tho non of them seem to disappear. Normally on semi concealed as it means digging hole as bungs can't be used. Hole diggers stand and help ( they all get 2hr sleep after)!

Remember changing a 2" gate valve on a sea box live whilst I was at sea (can't isolate the Atlantic) spilled more than a cupful for sure but got new valve on.

thats what went wrong with HMS Endurance if I remember right, valve repair went wrong, filled engine room, loss of power etc etc and she eventually got to a port under tow before getting to the uk and being written off, oops!!

thats what went wrong with HMS Endurance if I remember right, valve repair went wrong, filled engine room, loss of power etc etc and she eventually got to a port under tow before getting to the uk and being written off, oops!!

Sounds about right for the RN ;)

Fortunately was on the forward sea chest so only had 4.5MW of ac compressors to soak, but all in the prep, three sets of everything, bolts, joints, spanners to hand. Did leave a few inches of water in the bilges though.

Been on a few jobs where transco have snatched ecv. Sacking offence tho non of them seem to disappear. Normally on semi concealed as it means digging hole as bungs can't be used. Hole diggers stand and help ( they all get 2hr sleep after)!

Yep saw that recently they came out to replace ecv letting by and just plain unscrewed one and screwed on the next.

I Have snatched valves in some mint properties its about 2 things the first is- Preparation get new valve ready check all is well and dec cap shuts valve, plenty of towels underneath, undo nut while pushing down on valve reduces water loss. towel over valve and your hand remove valve quickly and place thumb over pipe even if its filthy poo water it wont spurt all over wall, towels stop any spray. when putting new valve on remember to get thumb out of way or get rad sludge in your bloodstream!..Job done and secondly its about the type of person you are!, can you keep your cool when its not quite going as you want - ive seen some right flappers try it and its just not for them running round like Corporal Jones 'Dont Panic'!!...so if you dont feel comfortable dont do it...

Thats right, my bezzy oppo was on her at the time. All the junior rates cabins were ruined and they lost all their stuff, pigs were alright though as usual!

Same as anhbrown I normally stick a towel over my hands and the cutter when snatching mains. Its not as if you need to see what your doing. Get the pipe cut / valve off then whack your finger on the pipe, remove your finger and stick the valve on.... Quick! 2" sea box valve is a different animal though - Prepare to get wet I imagine!

Thats right, my bezzy oppo was on her at the time. All the junior rates cabins were ruined and they lost all their stuff, pigs were alright though as usual!

and I bet their claims for replacement kit from the mod meant they all must have had 3 cabins full of kit each though. Didnt know the RN kept live meat at sea, I do know the vegetables are always kept on the lower decks though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to snatching valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock