Search the forum,

Discuss Smart thermostat solution? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
I am after some advice with upgrading my control system on my oil fired boiler. Currently I have an trianco Eurostar combi. It supplies heating to all of my house and hot water to half. It has a standard honeywell programmer and 2 wired battery powered wall stat. Hot water for the other half of the house is controlled on a tank stat that diverts the central heating through a heat exchange cylinder to heat and store in this area. I would like to upgrade the control system to have a smart system with wireless room stat and a better way of controlling HW at the other end. At the moment I have to have CH on at programmer, Stat high enough for demand and tank stat on to get HW there. It works but it’s annoying as we are reheating the cylinder everytime the CH comes on if the tank stat is on and in the summer the rads come on when tank up to temp. Any help greatly received!!

First upgrade is to replumb the DHW cylinder as a separate zone to the CH system. Any control system (Smart or otherwise) will require this to optimise performance.

Thereafter, it depends on what level of control you require and how much you want to spend.

Evohome will control up to 12 rooms or zones as independent temperature areas and also DHW allowing to you to control the DHW temperature to a high level of accuracy (+ or - 1 degree C). Circa £900. Good for large properties where not all the rooms are used on a regular or daily basis. Generally does not require plumbing modifications if compatible TRV’s are already fitted.

Nest Third Gen (basic) will control the house as one zone and also act as a timer for the DHW ( but no temperature control for DHW). Circa £220 with a stand. Good for homes where all rooms are used daily. Adding a second zone requires a second Nest and only on systems physically plumbed to operate a second zone.

Both are useable on Smart Phones - but no geofencing with Honeywell.

A host of other systems are available

Indicative costs are for the kit only.

Reply to Smart thermostat solution? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock