Currently reading:
Side Entry Ball Valves (2 of 2)

Discuss Side Entry Ball Valves (2 of 2) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunCorbs

Super Moderator
Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
water board regs and wras regs people plz need to be 1000000000000000% right which way i go :D

Note This Is A Commercial Setting Eg Schools Etc Where High Traffic Is Normal

during the schools shut down (aka school hols) 3 (me, building inspector and water-board) of us went round inspecting the water and heating systems in schools, we do this every 3 years to look for problems and check water meters etc,

went to a well brand new school (2 years old approx) everything ok heating and meter wise etc, the last thing we have to check is toilets, undo the the concealed panels takes the lid off the cistern, water board guy takes a look for wasting water etc (jobs-worth :D) and see a brass ball valve (part 1) extended arm (which i love brass ball valves because theres less wear and easy to change parts but thats going off point :D) and hes says thats illegal so i take a look and theres a dcv on the incoming main just after the iso and hes still said its illegal as water can still back flow.

now before i challenge him i want to make sure im right and dont want to charge the local a shed load to change every valve in the school if i am

summary can you use a part 1 with a dcv and be water regs ok etc

P1BV54.jpg

if no what ball valve can i fit needs to have an extended arm (float arm) and would like it brass if pos, because he also said you cant use one of these with the plastic silence tube on as that one can back flow (part 3)

torbeck_38th_european_side_entry_float_valve.gif

i think i have made it as clear as i pos can
any q please ask

So backflow was the only reason this guy gave to say they were illegal? I think, by law, he is correct BUT if a dcv is fitted someone who isn't so anal can pass it without it breaking the law.

Yes and no he said they didn't have a bs no so they shouldn't be used and also back flow could happen but tbh I think it's one of them 10000000000000/1 situations don't see how it could back flow on mains with 3 bar behind it fair enough on tank but mains lol

The only problem with the regs. Is its all on interpretation you might read it one way and say its correct where as I might say that it's wrong although we could both be right

I think ill stick to buying part 2 valves from now just to be on the safe side,

Ray might see a drop in sales of part 1 valves after this thread

Yes and no he said they didn't have a bs no so they shouldn't be used and also back flow could happen but tbh I think it's one of them 10000000000000/1 situations don't see how it could back flow on mains with 3 bar behind it fair enough on tank but mains lol
Ohhh ok, so basically they've used cheapo valves that aren't BS approved.. If theyd been BS approved I bet he'd have passed them

Ohhh ok, so basically they've used cheapo valves that aren't BS approved.. If theyd been BS approved I bet he'd have passed them

But I would think they would be bs approved as everything sold is might not have the bs stamp don't know will pull one out and inspect it will thro some pics up when I do,

And yes plumb nothing is ever down in black it's all down to the installer to interprete the rules

A tank is a receptacle for storing water and an air gap is what it says.
Neither know if their purpose is to flush a WC , feed a DHW cylinder or act as F&E.
Can anyone explain why a ball valve deemed safe for the latter two is unsafe on a WC cistern.
As for bending the arm, I have yet to break one but often ripple a copper tube. If this logic continues the commercial interests that sell us fittings will persuade the regulators that bending tube should be banned.

I admit I once snapped a part 1 ball valve arm when giving it a bend.
But it was the standard cheap valve and the "brass" arm was hard & brittle rubbish.
I was very lucky to not get ripped open with it, as the broken ends were long jagged shards.

I admit I once snapped a part 1 ball valve arm when giving it a bend.
But it was the standard cheap valve and the "brass" arm was hard & brittle rubbish.
I was very lucky to not get ripped open with it, as the broken ends were long jagged shards.

Give it a lick with the blow lamp before bending always helps I find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Side Entry Ball Valves (2 of 2) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock