Discuss shower kw output and cable size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solodiver2001

Hi all,i recently fitted a 10.5 kw shower,to a 6mm cable feed existing cable .Now the customer says its overheated and could have caused a fire.He says i have to install a lower kw output shower , i have to buy the shower i badly advised them so they say.As i am a plumber and not a spark.
where do i stand and do i have to buy him a new shower with a lower out put to meet the cable size.
6mm cable 45amp max 10.5 kw 43 amp so thought i`d get away with it then was told how long is the lenghth of cable etc over my head thats why im a plumber.
the customer picked the shower i fitted it,should they have asked a spark for his input or should i have done this?

thanks Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
unforunatley as you installed its down to you i think - if it was over your head then maybe a lesson learnt here - when you get electrickery involved get an electrickian in.

as a rule though anything above 8.5KW will need 10mm cable into the consumer unit - but always best to get it checked by professional

Where did you get the 45 amp max rating for the cable from? The rating of a cable depends on things such as installation method (running through insulation etc) and length as well as cross sectional area. What size fuse/MCB was this on as that is the main issue as too high a rating is a bad fire risk. 10.5kw/230v would produce a current of 45.66A so this should be on a 50A MCB with a 10mm cable. As a rule of thumb, don't go over 8.5kw on a 40A breaker with a 6mm cable.

i would of said 10mm but best advice is to get an electrian you dont want a fire in the customers house could cost you alot more, your reputation too!!

In hindsight, (a wonderful thing btw) You should only have plumbed in the shower.You should probably have directed them to a spark to see what size would be suitable for their wiring. Expensive mistake but hopefully you'll only do it once.

If i was you id bite the bullet and sort them a shower of way of apology, as yes it should havent been fitted on that cable rating. As you have fitted the shower its down to you to make sure the kw is correct. Could have been alot worse, mistakes we all still make then and unfortunately it can cost us money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to shower kw output and cable size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock