Search the forum,

Discuss shower bath diverter access mystery in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a traditional style bath tap with shower attachment via a diverter. The lever no longer moves, and so I managed to unscrew the lever arm and the brass (colonial) piece, exposing the plastic diverter valve. Unfortunately, I am stumped as to how to get access to the diverter valve, as the top part (indicated by red arrow), has no obvious means of removal. After googling, the YT and other videos, have a different design attachment where a nut is unscrewed and the diverter may be removed from above. Can anyone advise of how the arrowed part can be removed?

Also, I was going to reassemble the lever until I could work out the access issue (above), but the cartridge (colonial piece) will not screw back onto the plastic diverter valve - is there a special way of aligning the arm of the brass piece with the plastic diverter?

IMG_20230820_135741.jpg
IMG_20230820_103517.jpg

Last edited:
The tap looks ancient. It really ins't worth repairing, no doubt stuff will be scaled up and will be extremely difficult to disassemble and you risk damaging the bath in the process, also the likelyhood of o rings and bits being worn and then finding the right sizes will be another story. I would just change the whole lot.

The spout unscrews to get access. You may/may not need to remove taps to do it.

Try pouring some descaler in to loosen it.

Saying that, it looks like you’ve damaged the plastic diverter by removing the spindle.

Does the spindle move independently from the brass body? I guess it’s also jammed and that’s why it damaged the plastic divertor.

NEW TAP

Reply to shower bath diverter access mystery in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock