Currently reading:
Seal around radiator pipes

Discuss Seal around radiator pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nimo

HI All,
recently retiled my bathroom floor and have these tiny gaps around the radiator pipe, floor and wall - best illustrated in the attached photo. The gap goes straight through the floorboards to joists below. What is the best way to seal this? radiator seal.jpg
Thanks all.

You can get white or chrome or even timber pipe collars which will hide the gap. I prefer not to grout/seal pipe in just in case you have to work on the rad later. Hard to see from the angle but your drain cock may be in the way for a collar.

Should have been repiped before you had it tiled if you wanted it neat.
Best way is a reasonably large but not too large hole drilled in the tile (22mm - 25mm for a 15mm pipe).
This is best done on a bare pipe before water is on, so no cut out on tile. But can still be done neatly sometimes with a cut out. As above said, don't grout around pipe, just fit a collar so pipe has movement.

not a good idea to bury a comp fitting in grout, I always use copper feeds and pipe under tiled areas to know it wont leak, then just grout round the very tidy hole the pipe appears out of, made using a tile drill and tile cutter.

OK thanks for all the advice. I think I will fit some of those collars to make it look a bit neater. Any need to seal it? ie: should water spill all over the floor it could go below the boarding and onto the joists etc.

Thanks
Nick

you could seal it with mastic if you wanted. use the same colour as the mastic between the tile corners, or the tiles.

Thanks - will look into it. I've not worked with Mastic before so could you be a bit more specific - perhaps a brand name to look out for. I ask because if I were to (for instance) google "Mastic sealant" I'm going to get a whole range of products, and wouldn't know where to start. Is it a flexible substance like silicon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Seal around radiator pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back