Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement Manhole/Inspection Cover 650 x 500 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a badly rusted manhole/inspection chamber cover which seems to be a non-standard size measuring 650mm x 450mm. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement cover with these dimensions?

Before you ask the manhole slides under the wall with a lintel above it (god knows why they did it like this....)

Don't mind if it's plastic or metal and it will have no traffic at all so doesn't need to be particularly strong.

67240524576__5FB76F2E-09E0-4553-B821-0AC8C078309B.JPG

Looks decent.
It will be cast iron. You could clean it up and let it oxidize again or red lead it and paint it the colour of your choice.
The only places I know who would have one are builders merchants but you'd have to ring and give them dimensions. It probably won't be a stock item but that doesn't mean they can't get one for you.

Unless it's cracked there's no need to replace that cover.
Jet wash and paint as above.

Finding a lid that will fit the base will be almost impossible, there were thousands of different makes/models of cast iron covers with varying corner profiles.
Yours will be imperial measurement.

You'll end up having to replace the complete cover including frame.
Domestic grade covers have been pressed steel for many years.
Covers are described by the opening size not the external cover size.
They're usually 600 / 450mm or 24" /18"

Unless it's cracked there's no need to replace that cover.

Finding a lid that will fit the base will be almost impossible, there were thousands of different makes/models of cast iron covers with varying corner profiles.

Thanks a lot. Saves more pointless searching. Will use some rust converter and elbow grease. No cracks that I could see thankfully

Reply to Replacement Manhole/Inspection Cover 650 x 500 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock