Currently reading:
Reoccuring air lock in Gravity hot water primaries.

Discuss Reoccuring air lock in Gravity hot water primaries. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glew83

So I have pumped CH & gravity hot water pipe work feeding the coil in my cylinder. I recently had a leak in my old cylinder from the coil return fitting and replaced it with a larger aluminium cylinder. The pipe work didn't need much modification tbh.

Since ive done this I keep getting. What I think is an airlock in the coil. To try and explaine- I have to have the HW Coke on 3 times a day as I think for some reason this affects it. But more recently I've started to put the CH on and this has caused the same problem.

The only way I can get it going again is to pull the thermostat out of the boiler and boiling the air out so it vents over and then it's fine until the next time. I'm not sure why the CH is affecting it or why the air lock keeps coming back.

The he boiler is a very old ideal Mexico. And the CH is hand made manifolds. Cue trap heating pipe work is gravity only.

Can anyone shed any light.???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
and you made sure the new cylinder was suitable for gravity circulation. Majority of modern cylinders are for pumped only.

Well that's the thing. I was a little unsure at the time. But I was told in a well know plumbers merchant that it was the right one.

Is it possible to add a circulation pump to the primary's to the coil??

Anything is possible, along with 2 ports and a cylinder stat. Expensive but brings it in line with building regs. Look up S Plan.

To be honest the boiler needs changing. I don't want to go for a combi though. I like really hot water but more to the point I have a Mira excel power shower and it would mean ripping the ensuite apart to alter the pipe work for a mixer shower.

Would you recommend any specific boiler for the system I have?

Mira excel would run off a combi boiler without affecting en-suite. I take it you have a pump on it?

If you like a cylinder then stay with that and go for heat only or system boiler. Could look at unvented as well depending on mains water pressures and flow.

As for boiler recommendations I don't do gas so maybe somebody will be along to give you some ideas.

To be honest the boiler needs changing. I don't want to go for a combi though. I like really hot water but more to the point I have a Mira excel power shower and it would mean ripping the ensuite apart to alter the pipe work for a mixer shower.

Would you recommend any specific boiler for the system I have?

heat only

boilers

worcesters ri
viessmann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Reoccuring air lock in Gravity hot water primaries. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock