Discuss Recommendations for a cheap and cheerful circular saw? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
That will just be used to lift floorboards but probably not more than two or three sessions a month and if it lasts a couple of years I'll be happy. But I'd prefer to have hands left at the end of the experience. Never owned one before. Been making do with recipro saw and multi-tool but takes too long and too clumsy.

Get a evolution rage from screwfix for 50 quid. Ive had mine 18 month and still going strong. The blades can cut through nail embedded wood but wear some goggles if you do and gloves too.

For just lifting boards buy any cheap one. I had a jcb one for around 5-6 years, I did have a dewalt 18v one as well so it only got used on big jobs with lots of boards being lifted.

if it realy is just for boards i prefer the seven inch ones but cut isnt always deep enough for notching

I've got the dealt DW963 136blade 18v battery circular
I only use it for cutting floorboards and seens as its the same as my battery drill & impact its useful and you haven't got to get extensions out or trip over

if you havent used one before the top tip is always work from the side never from behind the can kick back

never use a blade with missing tips, use a mains one if occassional use as your batts will always be flat otherwise, and they are cheaper, small blade is best easier to control

I just got the cheapest one poostation did at the time, think it was less than ÂŁ30. Had it over a year and it's spot on for my needs - which are similar to yours.
It does actually still scare me when I use it, if there's any tool I have that will probably send me to hospital one day, it's the circ.

Have a work 18v battery one.
Fab for boards of the floor.
Blade 1.6mm thin and lasts all day.

Multi tools ive heard are good but slow by comparison. Mine turns up today so will try

Thanks all.

Just bought evolution rage one from poofix. So I guess to begin a cut on a board you manually remove the guard, start it, bring it down where you want to cut until the plate is flat on board, release guard, then move forward along. After having set the depth. That correct?

Yes and then pick your fingers up from the blood and water soaked floor after you've nicked a pipe, paniced and had it kick back on you.

Mulitmaster all the way.

Anyone here get there blades re shapened? My tool shop gets it done at 15p a tooth.

Don't have to fanny with the guard on mine. Just preset the depth and aim for penetration.

Never ever put your fingers near a blade.
As said above if it kicks (which they do)
You will lose digits

Well got multi tool today.
Was waiting when i got in from work.
Its excellent but after a bit play. It has its uses and is excellent. But would take an age for doing boards I think.
The odd board for a smaller job fine but thats its limit id say for time it takes

Erbauer ERB402CSW 185mm Circular Saw 230-240V | 240V Circular Saws | NoLinkingToThis

I've got this one and it is not too bad. It also comes in a great carry bag.

Tried it out today. It certainly does go through everything. Thing that worries me is I went from extemely cautious to not giving a hoot too quickly. Need to keep a big dose of respect about that tool.

Tried it out today. It certainly does go through everything. Thing that worries me is I went from extemely cautious to not giving a hoot too quickly. Need to keep a big dose of respect about that tool.

Including pipework when you set the deepth to deep

Told you it was a beast.
On another note I just bought the rage recip saw from screwfix yesterday. Thats awesome as well as is the mitre saw I also have which uses same blade as the circ.

Just got a 18v milwaukee saw, much more sensible to use than my old 240v desalt. Circular saws are a bit of an animal anyway, but the battery versions feel a lot safer to use and control.

Including pipework when you set the deepth to deep

Many years ago I cut down a hot pipe about 4-5 ft that was ran in the middle of the board then suddenly moved to under the joint. Obviously it was the apprentices fault for changing the depth and it wasn't my fault at all for just picking it up a cutting away. Luckily the hot finished draining about 5 minutes before.

Years ago I had a circular saw and I removed all of the safety guards. It was basically a lethal weapon but it cut nice and close to the skirtings! Dad found it in the van one day and threw it in the bin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Recommendations for a cheap and cheerful circular saw? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock